Opinions PLEASE!

newellchunker

Reaction score
I'm new here and I have found a 1984 Grady White 240 Offshore thats for sale that I'
m interested in. The boat has some issues but the price seems very reasonable. To start with it's on a tandem axle aluminum trailer that needs tires (I know, no big deal there) the boat itself probably needs some electrical updating (corrosion and such) and the hatches need to be re-cored. The floor I'm told is soild and the transom is supposed to be solid. The previous owner added an Armstrong twin engine bracket and twin 135 mercury's and left the notched transom (made some kind of wall/ barrier), the starboard engine needs a tilt pump motor and thats all I'm told she needs. The main problem is the boat is 450 miles from me and I have to take the owner at his word for the condition.....the best news is I can get it for probably $3000.00. What do you guys (gals) think? :noob

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
450 miles is not that far.
When it comes to this kind of commitment, I would drive to see it in person, taking a knowledgeable friend with you if possible.
With a boat of this age, there are all sorts of stuff that could hit you now and later.

I would not buy that old of a boat sight unseen just on someone else's word.
The $3000.00 you spend may be just the beginning.

That said, give it a chance. It might be fine, but I would go see it.

seasick

Reaction score
I don't know what reasonable price is but 84 is a fairly old hull. It is pre SeaV2 and the ride will be harsh.
If the gas tank has not been replaced, you can bet that it is either due now or very soon. As to the transom,unless it is delaminated, you can't tell if it is wet without a moisture meter and knowledge to interpret the data. As mentioned, the wiring probably needs a lot of work as might the mechanic's, pumps etc. It usually takes more than one trip to really ascertain the condition. You need to see the boat out of the water in addition to a sea trial. Then again, if it is really cheap and you are willing to possibly take on a full restoration, knowledgeable of the time and costs to do so, it may be worth the trip.
Now suppose you go, like the boat and are ready to buy then and there; Think of all the steps you need to do and if you can do them remotely. Figure at least another trip and probably more to get the trailer up to snuff just to haul it back.
Would I go 450 miles for a hull that old. Probably not.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
I don't want to dampen your enthusiam, but it is almost a 30 year old boat. You need to spend the money and have it professionally surveyed.
I know $4-500 for it seems large compared to what you are paying, but as you state this boat is going to need work and the surveyor may provide the data to justify an even lower number or some repairs that the seller meets you some percentage of the way with. He will be saving you future dollars or he will be saving you a huge amount of future dollars if he tells you it needs a transom or other structural work.

I wish you well with it.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What i would is go there with the attitude that you I will need a new transom(almost 90% sure) and deal accordingly. If the trailer is road ready for your trip back(besides the tires) and the engines check out on a sea trial and a compression test then make him an offer.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I did the same trip(NY to Virginia) to pick up the Formula. The guy told me everything was great and all the boat needed was a motor. In my mind i had a full restoration for the boat, so i bought a brand new aluminum trailer and went there. Well, you guessed it, boat was worth between free and 500 bucks, i made him an offer that i liked and picked up the boat. She is under the knife for almost two years, but i still have a brand new trailer. :mrgreen:

newellchunker

Reaction score
Well, I appreciate all the responses, in the end I decided to pass on it. I'm already into a 1977 SeaCraft restoration and I don't feel like doing another at this point. Someone can pick it up for a song (or a scream) if you will :lol: He went as low as $2500, just didn't feel right to me!