Out Rovers

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Hi Yall:
The admiral gave me a subscription to Saltwater Fishing and in the back I saw an ad for these "birds" you attach in line with your bait when trolling. They are called Out Rovers and it appears from the ad, their web site and some other online sources that these birds take your bait outside the wake and they claim they replace the need for outriggers. They are $58 for a pair. From what I can tell they have keel on them angled to keep the bird going out and away from the boat when used for the appropriate side of course. www.outrover.com

I have not made the Taco outrigger purchase yet and just wondered if anyone here has heard of these and if anyone has fished them? $58 is a heck of lot less money than $1299 for Taco Grandslams and 15 foot outriggers I am looking at buying. Granted you dont or likely dont get the drop back benefit of the outrigger, but they say the outrovers work well in getting the bait spread behind the boat and elimenate crossing of lines even in tight turns. What do you all think?

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have seen those "out rovers" used here in the Chesapeake Bay for striped bass fishing. Seems to be very popular with the MD boats from up north.

I have never seen them used out in the ocean for pelagic trolling. I wouldn't want to have that additional mess of gear out there when needing to maneuver with one or more fish on.

We have thousands of miles with out Taco outriggers. Just make sure your get the 15-foot HEAVY DUTY poles, and the appropriate bases.

Brian

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Thanks...I guess :? I was hoping for, sure they work great! I am just razzing you on the I guess part :wink: . I really do appreciate your perspective Brian. I dont like wasting money even if it is $58. I had a similar thought about the extra gear on the line. When I saw the ad I was thinking they would function more like a planner with a pressure release outrigger clip that the line would run through and the bird would be separately towed like a planner. The website proved otherwise.