outboard rigging

conshykid

Reaction score
I have an Offshore w/ V6 Johnson that I need to take off the bracket to have the bracket redone.I also wanted to clean up the rigging to the motor with a cover and transom boot but I have a problem the wiring and hoses goes in one side of the motor and the gear and throttle cables comes in the other.I tried to get all the slack out of the cables but it still wouldnt be enough to put them in the same bundle.I will also have to put the hydraulic hoses through seperate thru hulls as well.Any suggestions?

010.jpg

012.jpg

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I think you will still need to keep three seperate groups, the two Hydraulic hoses, the mechanical cables, and everyting else. Everything else you can place in one loom split or solid, and take it all through the same hole.
You can use a regular transom boot and trim the opening to is fit snug.

I didn't care for the fuel and oil plastic fitting I see in the photo, and the soft when new plastic oil hose that hardens like a month old loaf of bread as it ages. I ran new oil line and fuel line all the way into the engine - nixed the fitting. The quality rubber oil line came with a new OMC pickup I bought for the oil tank, since the hard plastic hose goes all the way inside to the filter, and it was bear trying to pry it off -busted the check valve.

conshykid

Reaction score
I am going to replace all the hoses going to the motor and getting rid of the gas/oil coupler.I am tring to get away with not having 3 holes in the transom so I found something else that might work.I might use this rigging tube coupling that has a port that I can have the gear and throttle cables exit.This way all the rigging will still be in one bundle and then the cables will exit through the connector.

RFFHURFHU.jpg

Instead of the fuel hose going into the connector the cables will be coming out with it angled toward the motor

RFFHP-RFHU-ASSY.jpg

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Good idea, however, on your model I wouldn't put the squeeze bulb outside. In the transom it's better protected from UV damage, stepping on it, and fish hooks !

I realize what you are trying to accomplish, just like the new engines are. Don't see how you are going to bend up the mechanical cables to get them from the other side into the same tube, they are too short as is, you will have to loop them if possible perhaps . And the hydraulic hoses are never in the same rigging tube in my experience.

And you don't need a tight boot, I leave it loose so the Hydraulic hoses pass thru too. If I used the Yamaha rigging tube which is likete hone you show, I would need another two penetrations through the transom for the hydraulic hoses.

Good luck.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
And when you take off the boot, verify the wood perimeter is sealed, if not, reseal it. Rain and water gets washed up there.

gw204

Reaction score
I would just try to use two separate rigging tubes...one for the throttle/shift cables and one for the wiring, gas and oil lines. Ask you nearest OMC shop if there were rigging tube fitting for the motor end to give you a clean install.

As for the hydraulic lines, get some bulkhead fittings.

You'll end up with something like this...but with both rigging tubes going to one motor.

BcktEngs.jpg

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I don't think OMC/Bombardier makes a mating connector for the hose at the engine, like Yamaha does, or as the one at the transom T&H makes in the catalog cut shown. The rigging hose is always going to be filled with water.
At the minimum, I would cut or drill holes in it to allow water to drain out.

conshykid

Reaction score
BobP said:
Good idea, however, on your model I wouldn't put the squeeze bulb outside. In the transom it's better protected from UV damage, stepping on it, and fish hooks !

I realize what you are trying to accomplish, just like the new engines are. Don't see how you are going to bend up the mechanical cables to get them from the other side into the same tube, they are too short as is, you will have to loop them if possible perhaps . And the hydraulic hoses are never in the same rigging tube in my experience.

And you don't need a tight boot, I leave it loose so the Hydraulic hoses pass thru too. If I used the Yamaha rigging tube which is likete hone you show, I would need another two penetrations through the transom for the hydraulic hoses.

Good luck.

I am not going to have the primer bulb like this it will be where it is now under the transom battery hatch.I was just showing a pic of the connector installed on a rigging tube.I am thinking about running all the hoses and cables minus the hydraulic lines through the hole already in the transom then a couple inches add that connector then have the gear and throttle cables go through that connector and just prceed with the rest of the lines in the rigging tube,if that makes any sense.

The hydraulic line will come through the transom by themselves.