outboards not all the way out ?

fishone

Reaction score
OK, here it goes. Why do Yamaha outboards on gradywhites not come out of the water when raised up? The front of the nose seems to always be submerged. I notice many other makes of boats and engines come completely out. I am a big fan of Gradywhite boats but that seems to be an issue for me :hmm .

Fishtales

Reaction score
I agree. I think the transom needs to come up about 4 inches personally. Molds would need to change.

seasick

Reaction score
Mine comes all the way out. It depends on the particular hull, motor(s) and mounting.
Raising the transom is not an option unless you raise the keel:)

Eventually, I would suspect that new motor models and new hull molds will get it all sorted out.

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
mine come out of the water all the way when..... freshwater tank is empty (32gallons) and motors are all the way starboard.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
:uhm Must be a Yamahaha thing, my Honda will raise almost horizontal ... :hmm

Tashmoo

Reaction score
Simple, it is a design flaw on the newer boats whereby the distance from the transom to the inner liner portion where the fish box and live well are located not being sufficient to allow the newer engines to lift all the way out of the water without hitting the fish box lid. There is plenty of lift on the Yamaha engines but it has to be restricted to prevent the cowling from hitting the fish box lid. At least this is the case on the 275.

I can accept that the older molds had this but on the boats that were designed to accept the newer engines I cannot. I have this issue with my 275 with an F350. I have found a solution but it took a lot of work with GW and my dealer to sort it out.

For the record GW stood behind the issue all the way until I was satisfied and at times I am sure they wished that I had bought another Pursuit. My hat is off to GW they made a believer out of me.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Like seasick said, depends on the hull, mounting, engine etc. Mine is a newer model but unlike tashmoo, there is no contact between the engine and the transom and there's plenty of clearance (bracket mounted) but it does get close to the swim platform when fully tilted...just seems the engine bracket itself is low. I just paint the bullet with TriLux every year and everything seems fine so far.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
RAINMAKER said:
mine come out of the water all the way when..... freshwater tank is empty (32gallons) and motors are all the way starboard.
Might have to give this a try. I keep my motors to port cause it seems to put less strain on the rigging tube. Rain are you saying they're out of the water with fuel tanks full??

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
Boy howdy I'm late on this one ..... but to answer your ? yes fuel tanks are full just no fresh H20 in tank... Sorry for the incredibly late reply , I owe you a beer :D

bhemi

Reaction score
I have a '92 marlin with 2 strokes and mine are in the water. If you are not using the boat every day a good trick is put a few hundred pounds of weight forward. I have a huge cooler I put forward and fill it with water. Engines come nearly clear then. I like to keep my fuel tanks full which doesn't help plus I have a generator. Aft scuppers are barely above water.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Out of the water all the way, with ALL tanks full, and I have four batteries on the shelf under the rear seat.

Brian

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yea, they changed the lift angle on the 4-strokes. Guy behind me has the F225's and his motors raise to higher angle than mine.

Coconut330

Reaction score
I have a 330 Express. Just repowered with the new F 300's. When fully loaded the lower units barely touches the water.
My previous motors F 225's the were about 3 to 4 inches under.

Coconut330

Reaction score
I think the new F 300's are about 40 lbs lighter per motor! I cant belive the difference in power over the F225's. The mid range acceleration is fantastic.

JeffN

Reaction score
Read this thread to other day and when I was out at the boat yesterday I noticed that the cones of the lower units on the Regulator next to me were painted with antifouling paint and were in the water. I took a walk around and probably 80% of the outboards were not all the way out of the water. Many different makes of boats both new and old the majority with noses in the water.