Outrigger Tips

Bust it Big

Reaction score
Can someone set me up with a link on how to use the outriggers that came with boat. I have a set but dont have any idea where to start. Thanks in advance.

Wannderer

Reaction score
Ill come down to VA beach and do it for you for say 100 bucks plus gas money and lunch

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hey Bust It Big, I didn't even notice where you were located.

Our boat is in our slip at Harbor Walk, across Shore Drive from Taylor's Landing. Let me know if you'd like to see how we are rigged.

Brian

Bust it Big

Reaction score
Brian. I appreciate the offer and may need to take you up on it. I think I saw you out late Sat afternoon North of the 2nd? I will check out the link in other post. If I can't figure it out, I will get back to you. Thanks.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Bust it Big said:
Brian. I appreciate the offer and may need to take you up on it. I think I saw you out late Sat afternoon North of the 2nd? I will check out the link in other post. If I can't figure it out, I will get back to you. Thanks.

Don't hesitate to come over. There are a few considerations in placing the pad eye, so the lines have a similar length both stowed and out. Happy to demonstrate.

That was probably us. We drifted with eels off Plantation Flats on Saturday morning and picked up two stripers just under 20#. Couldn't get any more, so came down for some schoolies. Had a few shorts, but boxed five more 20-25", then headed in.

Hit Plantation again on Sunday (we were fishing Toys for Tots Tournament) and boated a 43.25# and a 43.96# for a pair of citations.

Just email or PM me. Expect I will be around all weekend as it looks to be another blowout.

Brian

Bust it Big

Reaction score
Just saw your response. I do have the Outriggers installed from previous owner. I saw the how it is rigged from your original link; however, almost need a "how to troll with outriggers" link. Do you have any other valuable links.
Speaking the blow we are getting. I just saw on Tidalfish that a couple took at shot at the Green Can today. What's up with that?? I love to boat and fish but sometimes I figure you have to be smart right? THanks for you help again.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Bust it Big said:
Speaking the blow we are getting. I just saw on Tidalfish that a couple took at shot at the Green Can today. What's up with that?? I love to boat and fish but sometimes I figure you have to be smart right? THanks for you help again.

A lot depends on the direction of the wind. If blowing from the SW, even at 20+ kts, you can comfortably fish along the ocean front for a mile out, or even two miles out. Just a matter of how much "fetch" the wind has to build up the seas. Hard part can be getting there - easy enough out of Rudee, a little bit tougher out of Lynnhaven, and a longer run out and back for us out of LCreek.

Wind blowing strong from the south and you can fish the entire shoreline from Willoughby to Cape Henry, and out to (or towards) the first island of the CBBT, until the chop builds up to your level of discomfort.

And, when the wind has much "N" in it, then hard to fish out of LCrk or Lynnhaven.

Give me a shout. Bring some beer. Happy to talk about using outriggers. Heck, I'll even come look at your boat... :D

Brian

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
http://canyonrunner.com/images/Outfitte ... attern.pdf

That should give you an idea of how to set up a trolling spread if you have never done it before. It gives you an idea what it should look like and consists of. If you are targeting tuna, always deploy atleast two spreader bars off the outriggers(make sure they are same size squid, style and brand). I usually troll my bars off my short riggers, daisy chains on my outriggers, I troll a big bird with a deep green machine down the middle and will fill the rest in with blue and white jets and skirted ballyhoo. I may also add a green machine daisy chain down the middle if conditions allow me to put out more rods. I troll 7 at a minimum but have had 10 out before on my 265 express. Usually 7 or 8 is plenty. If you are starting out, I would not go more then 7, even start with 5 until you get used to setting the spread out.