Outriggers

rcornejo

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where you mount outriggers on a 1999 208 Adventure walk around cuddy? I have a pair that my neighbor gave me but don't know the best place to put them. I don't have a hard top.

Thanks,
RC

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Since you do not have a hardtop, they will need gunnel mount's, you can get them used on eby often, or buy new. you need to know what size adapter baseyou have...brand helps but is ot necessary. You want them mounted just aft of the bow rail, on my 22 they were just aft of the fuel fills, about where the cockpit seats/boxes against the helm chairs start. I would perfer them a little forward of there, even with the side of the cabin if room isavilable....but acces may be a pain, having them mounted where aft of the fuel fill is easiest since you have access to under the gunnel for mounting. This is about your only option without a hardtop, wishbone stlye mounts would be too big for that boat and would be in the walkarounds way. The only bad side to gunnel mounts is that the are in the way when not in use I feel, mounting the forward a ft or so would get them out of the way but woul be a hard job to do.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
RC: I had a 1995 Adventure. I located my gunnel mounts about two feet forward of the most forward rod holder and about 6 - 8 inches aft of the fuel filler. Essentially, I went as far forward as I could while being careful not to interfere with the fuel filler.

At this point the gunnel top slants outboard so water on the gunnel drains overboard. That means you should create a shim to level the outrigger mounts. My dealer made a pair for me from starboard. If you don't create a shim, your outriggers will lean 10 - 20 degrees (guessing) outboard when they are in what should be the vertical position.

I had that boat ten years and never regretted the outrigger placement.

I'd post a picture if I could figure out how to ...

Rob

rcornejo

Reaction score
Outrigger Placement

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I contacted Grady White as suggested and found out that Wahoo, who posted a reply, was right on the money. The only thing I was not aware of is that the base will lean towards the water. As suggested, I will need to put a shim as explained by Wahoo.

If anyone has pictures of how this looks will you be kind enough to post a picture for me to see. I am curious how the shim will work.

Thanks again,

RC

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Here is an attempt to post pictures with caveats:

1. Pictures are not great, but they do show placement of the outrigger mounts on a 208, even though the outrigger poles are not in the mounts.

2. I'm embarrassed that the only pictures I have of my previous boat showing outrigger mounts also show friends holding a sailfish up for some photos prior to release - something I would not do today.