Overnighter Fishbox Drains

bobdevlin

Reaction score
I have a 1988 GW Overnighter and the fishbox drains, (Thru Hull Fittings at the waterline), are broken and need replacement. Looking at the open access panels you would have to be a midget to get in there and put the hose on the fitting, tighten the lock nut and tighten two hose clamps. Has anyone else doen this job and what should I know before attempting it?

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bob, just noticed you said thru-hull fitting. On my 89 204c, the thru-hulls are adjacent to the cockpit drains in front of the helm and passenger seats. I have a 6" access plate on each side that were on the boat when I bought her. I don't know if they came from the factory or a prior owner put them in. I can at least touch the thru-hull fittings, get to the clamps, etc. but it would still be a bear to do.

The hoses from my fish box drains run forward to a "T" that connects to the cockpit drain and the thru-hull. I thought long and hard about replacing everything while I was at it but decided I had enough irons in the fire for now. Maybe this winter.

I spoke with some of the local boat repair shops around here and was told they now just cut holes in the deck to get access then replace the section and reglass. In some boats, there are apparently no alternatives.

Gary 89 Overnighter

BUZZCUDA

Reaction score
Bob,
I did this project on my 86 overnighter in the spring. I am going to tell you to take the lower drawers and cabinet out from under the port seat and you will be able to access the entire network of fish box thru the hull and drain fitting in front of the seat. Makes the port side extremly accessable. Another tip is that there is a screw in the bottom center of the cabinet that screws down into a piece of wood that holds the cabinet in place. You may need to feel for it or use an extension mirror and flashlight but it is there. As for the starboard side, I did all work by removing the entire access cover and frame below the helm in front of the seat pedastal on the wall. I am not going to tell you it was easy but I am a big guy and got it done in about 2 hours. I also work with tools all day so Iam kind of used to awkward places and positions. I was told by the grady factory rep that they added the access plate to the port side to make the port thru the hull more accesable in the later modles. I do not have that on my 86, so I was really baffled at first on how to get to it. :)

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I took the easy way out and had the guys at the boat yard do it. But I can tell you they did it with out cutting any new holes. Port side was accessed through the cabinet in the seat base and the starboard side was accessed through the deck plate. Have fun.