OX66 or F250 on Marlin

Plum Crazy

Reaction score
Hello Everyone
I am looking at buying a 1997 Marlin with F250 motors while the wife likes a 2000 Marlin with OX66 250 motors, companion seat, and AC/Heat at the same price. I just want to know if the fuel burning is that much of a driffence between motors. I like the 1997 Marlins for the four stroke motors and the new Garmin electronics (AP,FF,Radar,GPS, XM).

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Rule #1 keep the wife happy.
Rule #2 get a survey.

I'd be worried about the hours on the OX's, the F's will give you better mileage and you can see how many hours are on them.

Perry

Reaction score
Depending on the hours the Ox66s push the boat nicely. I have a '98 with original Ox66s and they run great and start every time. They are not known for their mileage but, not having to put on 4-strokes...that's alot of gas to make up the price difference.

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd get the F250s. And that's coming from the very happy owner of a pair of two strokes (HPDIs).

The OX66 engines are very reliable and powerful, but the downsides are fuel and oil consumption, some smoke at startup, noisier and shake a bit. The first three issues disappeared with the HPDI versions, but the the two strokes are still noisier and not as smooth. I spent a whole day on a boat with an F250, and it's true what they say...all I could hear at idle was the pisser hitting the water.

It's a great boat and either set of engines would be considered "proper" power. I would just favor the efficient, quiet, smooth F250s.

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would go with the F250 boat. I have a 1997 Marlin with F225's on it. Great fuel economy and run like champs for the past 10 seasons. I do have the corrosion issues starting so I am having the mid sections replaced now. The F250 do not appear to have this problem and if they are 2005 and newer you should be safe. You can add air and the companion seat if you wish for a couple grand.

Plum Crazy

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, 1997 Marlin Has 2006 F250 motors with 270 hrs.. We are going for test ride on 2000 Marlin this weekend. I hope the wife will hear the difference between the motors. What year did Grady start using the Sea V hull in the Marlin?

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am not 100% certain but I believe all Marlins have been SV2 hulls even when they first came out and it was the 28 Marlin.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The 28 or 30 (same hull with full running surface) always had SV2. OX's are good motors but given the choice of low hour F250's the F's will win every time plus 1 powerhead costs more than AC/heat and a companion seat.

ahill

Reaction score
I bought a '98 272 in 2006 and added marine ac/heat as well as shorepower.
Best thing I ever did, love the cool air and keep the batteries charged when away from the boat.
I think the full running bottom was added in '96. The F250s weight will help the running angle due to the extra bouyancy of the FRB.

rlangner

Reaction score
definitely go with the low hour 4 strokes. Quieter, better on gas, no oil burning,etc. You can swap out the seat and the other minor changes, but you definitely want to get the engines right the first time.