paint on trim tabs and lower unit, never works!

Jim S

Reaction score
Here I go again. During the many years I owned my first boat, I always painted the trim tabs and lower unit with the same bottom paint as the rest of the boat (Petit Unepoxy) and never had a problem with growth of any kind. Then somebody told me that this is bad to do since the metals in the paint will react with and cause the tabs to corrode. I did notice a slight bit of deterioration near the hinge points but no big deal. Since I have owned my Grady, I have tried several different brands of paint on the tabs and lower unit of the outboard, following the directions. Now, every year, the tabs and lower unit get loaded with barnacles. I am seriously thinking about going back to using the same bottom paint on the lower unit and tabs, except now I am using ablative paint, which i figure will slough off the tabs in any case. Any ideas?

Fishtales

Reaction score
I use the same ablative paint that is on the hull and so did the dealer on my boat when new and every other GW they sell. I have seen a little rust around a screw or two, but I think this would happen anyway. Never a growth issue.

seasick

Reaction score
Fishtales said:
I use the same ablative paint that is on the hull and so did the dealer on my boat when new and every other GW they sell. I have seen a little rust around a screw or two, but I think this would happen anyway. Never a growth issue.
If your paint contains copper and most do, applying it to the motor bracket (aluminum) is asking for trouble.
You can use bottom paint made for aluminum hulls or you can use other products made for aluminum motor parts. I had pretty poor results with Trilux aerosole for my outboard until last year when I applied three decent coats. Barnacle growth was not too bad and cleaned up fairly well.
As to the trim tabs, if they are stainless, you can use your regular bottom paint but if you have zincs on them and you probably should, make sure you don't paint where the zincs mount.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
seasick said:
Fishtales said:
If your paint contains copper and most do, applying it to the motor bracket (aluminum) is asking for trouble.
You can use bottom paint made for aluminum hulls or you can use other products made for aluminum motor parts. I had pretty poor results with Trilux aerosole for my outboard until last year when I applied three decent coats. Barnacle growth was not too bad and cleaned up fairly well.
As to the trim tabs, if they are stainless, you can use your regular bottom paint but if you have zincs on them and you probably should, make sure you don't paint where the zincs mount.

X2

ahill

Reaction score
Prepping Metal parts is important.
My haulout place does the following:
Bottom paint - Petit Pro Ultima Black
Motor brackets & lower unit nose - 2 coats Petitt 4400 aluma protect epoxy. 3rd coat Petitt 4700, 1 coat bottom paint.
Trim tabs - 1 coat Petitt 6455, 2 coats Petitt 4700 , 1 coat bottom paint.
Never had a paint issue with this procedure. My boat is in Homestead, FL. in an aggressive environment.