Painting peeked pwdr coating on bracket 1999 tournament

markb8608

Reaction score
Hello
Wanted some suggestions on painting loose powder coating on bracket. 1999 225 tournament 2008 225hp e-tec. Inside of bracket is beautiful condition. No corrosion. However. The Powder coating is peeling around engine mounts. See pic. Engine dealer didnt want to tackle painting the bracket. Can I just lift the engine off a litkecand then paint the aluminum. I won't do the whole bracket. Amy suggestions on paint. I just want to get something on the bracket ti stop corrosion. Thanks mark

Attachments

• 20240215_084644.jpg
    20240215_084644.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Hello
Wanted some suggestions on painting loose powder coating on bracket. 1999 225 tournament 2008 225hp e-tec. Inside of bracket is beautiful condition. No corrosion. However. The Powder coating is peeling around engine mounts. See pic. Engine dealer didnt want to tackle painting the bracket. Can I just lift the engine off a litkecand then paint the aluminum. I won't do the whole bracket. Amy suggestions on paint. I just want to get something on the bracket ti stop corrosion. Thanks mark
Can you explain better what you're saying? Or proofread better before you hit "submit" :) I want to make sure I fully understand what you're saying. Specifically, what is "litkecand"?

But... in the meantime...

-- Yes, of course, you can lift the motor off.
-- Be ready for the area to paint to be much larger - just from that picture alone there's a lot of bubbling... and the area that needs to be sanded will ALWAYS be larger than the bubbling that you see.
-- The key, as in any good paint project, is prep, prep, prep. Get rid of ALL contaminants.
-- There's really no "best product" and there are multiple ways to attack this. But in my opinion, you're going to want to start with a good epoxy primer like what Pettit offers. The primer is much, MUCH more important than the topcoat.
-- If you don't take the time to do it right... you'll be doing it again in short order. There are no shortcuts to a quality paint job.

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Some considerations:
  • You must remove all white aluminumoxide with a non ferrous brush wheel or have it sand blasted,
  • when you sanded the corrosion away in small patches then apply etch-prier immediately as aluminum start to oxidize immediately
  • Use only special paint for marine use, most known bat painting brands as International have that
Here some links:
https://www.thyssenkrupp-materials.co.uk/index.html/technical-knowledge-hub/painting-aluminum
https://www.wikihow.com/Paint-Aluminum
https://justpaint.org/painting-on-metal-an-introduction/

However, understand that your work will not last a long time, particularly not on already corroded aluminum, but it can hold quite a while if the complete paint job is done perfectly.
The bolts from mounting the outboard to the bracket create galvanic corrosion what will start the corrosion effect and on outboard bolts is nothing to do to isolate them as T-Top screws for example. The use of dielectric grease or special compound may help with isolating the two disimilar metals. The second problem is the paint cracking where the bolts and outboard mounting bracket touch und humidity will enter and start corrosion again. The best priming is the key to slow down this effect.

Chris

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I refinished my factory aluminum tower two years ago. I came out beautiful but it was a lot of work and paint materials. AwlGrip products. Removed from boat. Aluminum was sandblasted, etch primed, AwlGrip primed and AwlCraft 2000 painted. I did all the paint work myself. Everything sprayed.

As said above you have to get the material clean and follow the paint system. Can you shortcut it? Sure but it will come off.

Blasted 1.jpeg Tower Paint 1.jpeg

Reactions: Sardinia306Bimini

markb8608

Reaction score
Hello Everyone
Thanks for your suggestions. I was typing on my phone and my fingers are too big. great suggestions and beautiful work on the top. I will be doing the work myself as nobody wants to waste their time on small project. I will use the alwgrip or petite. When I am doind the prep. after I sand all the oxide off, could I hit is with a chemical acid just before putting the primer on. Thansk again. Mark

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
This stuff is expensive even in a quart plus all the other items you need.

If your not going to do the whole bracket "done right - done once" just touch up with something every year.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd scrape it, sand it down and paint it with a metal enamel paint and touch it up every year. No need to go overboard here.