Painting the bilge areas

antaris

Reaction score
Hello all,

Any suggestions for the paint to use to freshen-up the bilge area in a 2000 Grady? My mechanic warned me that some types of thick top-coat paints may start flaking if the paint base is different... I intend to paint the inside of the anchor locker, too...

Any ideas? something in the Hempel/Interlux range?

Also, would scraping with wire brush provide adequate grip or do I need something else? The fact is that the surfaces are not that flat for dry/wet sanding.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What i do is paint tinted epoxy resin.
All you do is mix some epoxy resin, enough for the area, then add some color pigment in it, mix well and brush it or roll it.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Wire brush seems fine to me, just make sure it is clean of all oils/grease/moisture and the like prior to painting.

antaris

Reaction score
Thank you all,

I guess the issue with paint peeling is unrelated with the paint material and more to do with oil/grease on surface....

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
antaris said:
Thank you all,

I guess the issue with paint peeling is unrelated with the paint material and more to do with oil/grease on surface....

Yes and no, if the base your painting isn't clean it's going to flake off but some of the 2 part paints are not compatable with non 2 part primers or base coats. I like the tinted epoxy idea it must look like glass.

antaris

Reaction score
Grog said:
some of the 2 part paints are not compatable with non 2 part primers or base coats.

Here's the thing - do we know what type of paint Grady White uses when manufacturing?

gw204

Reaction score
Rough it up and brush or roll on new gelcoat. That's what I've done after replacing the bilbe pump block in a few boats.

IMG_7004.jpg

IMG_8577.jpg