Plastic Fuel Tanks

Greyduk

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced their aluminum tank with a plastic one like the ones made by Moeller?

Fuel Tank.jpg

Reactions: DogBone

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I haven't done it, but it is something I am leaning towards should the need arise. MANY smaller boats come with plastic tanks from the factory (including most of the boats I've owned) and there seems to be less issues with those, overall.

DogBone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Very interested in this thread. I was looking at the same tanks from Moeller. Is there any downside? I assume they can handle Ethanol.

Greyduk

Reaction score
I have had 3 Wellcraft V-20's and a V-21. I went to the V-21 in part because it had a plastic fuel tank. That is a plus in my opinion.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I should add that I work in the industry and have seen, literally, thousands and thousands of boats with plastic tanks over the years. The only issues that I can remember seeing are owner-caused issues... such as drilling a hole for mounting a rope hanger into a bulkhead, not realizing the tank was on the immediate other side of the bulkhead, and drilling too far.

That's not to say that they are impervious to issues, but they are definitely much fewer and far between than aluminum.

Yes, ethanol is a non-issue with the tank. Less chance for condensation to build up, too.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Is there a price difference?

I am seeing the same 150 gallon tanks with prices all over the place, and all the same moeller plastic 150 gallon.

So, I must be looking at the wrong area.

I see some for like 650-ish

R

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My previous boat, Seaswirl Striper 2301 had 125 gallon plastic tank. No issues at all.

image1-5.JPG

Greyduk

Reaction score
In the brief research that I have done, it looks like finding a plastic tank to fit the opening will be the biggest obstacle. Its nice to think about but may not work for too many applications.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I would call Moeller directly, with your dimensions, and talk with them. They make custom tanks for various boat manufacturer's (A LOT of them!) and they might have something that would work that's not listed on the web. Or, they may be able to tell you where to go/who to contact for a tank that would suit your needs. For example, maybe a tank that was made for a Sea Ray 260 Sundancer would happen to work for you (again, just an example to better explain my thought process) - and then you would order it through a local Sea Ray dealer.

Paul_A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Has anyone replaced their aluminum tank with a plastic one like the ones made by Moeller?

View attachment 9032

I put an 80 gallon Moeller poly tank in my boat around 7 months ago. It's setup perfectly for the 208 and was just 495.00 shipped from Moeller on Amazon. The pictures don't show it but Moeller molds baffles into the bottom of the tank. I like it, no more corrosion worries.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I didn't know they made plastic ones so large. Definitely worth a look. How are they cost wise?

Fishtales

Reaction score
They have a 150 gal tank - impressive. Lowest cost I found was $655. How does that compare to aluminum?
66.69L by 33.44W by 17.63H will measure mine this layup.

rprieser

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Looking at all the same but notice there is only single fuel pick up nozzle and if you have a twin engines that might not work.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Plastic tanks like everything have pros and cons. My main concern with a plastic tank is a complete failure. Where the fittings mount can be a weak spot. Repairing a plastic tank? I'll pass on any repair. Mounting a plastic tank can require a bit more planning as well depending on the boat.

An aluminum tank from the factory that is thinner and not coated seems to last. Most aftermarket fabricated tanks use a thicker gauge and get coated. I think 25+ years will work for me.

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
One thing to consider on a plastic tank is flex around the sending unit. I have had 2 boats with plastic tanks, a 2005 18' Cape Craft and a 2001 Grady Sportsman, where the plastic tank deformed under the sending unit and bolts corroded and pulled out allowing the tank to drink water. The Cape Craft we just ran on an external tank and the Sportsman we repaired with a 6 to 5 bolt pattern adaptor. The tanks we fine for awhile, and it seems this is an issue with the plastic tanks.

I agree a plastic tank would be a serious consideration if I was to replace a tank, but if the original aluminum tank lasts 20+ years that does not seem all that bad either.

CEDF7F4B-9D59-41EE-B2D5-82A2BE1B6CCB.jpeg8395E099-E0DC-4821-9F4F-8BFAD52D9D40.jpegFEDA90B8-6A03-4441-AFD1-F69F6A68BA89.jpeg

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My previous two boats were 21' Arima's and I believe all Arima boats come from the factory with plastic tanks. I never had an issue with either tank in either boat but yes, the dissimilar materials used always makes me nervous... ie using metal fittings/bolts on a plastic tank. Same can be said with car engines and using steel spark plugs with aluminum cylinder heads. Ask me how I know on that one lol. A lot of guys on the Arima forums would replace the plastic stand up tank that was found in the stern of the boat with an aluminum belly tank that they'd install in one of the fish bait boxes in the floorboard. For the life of me I can't figure out why Arima wouldn't do that to begin with as it would more evenly distribute the weight of the boat than having the fuel tank, twin batteries and motors all hanging off the stern. I think the 21' Arima that I had was a 48 gallon fuel tank, of which a gallon of gasoline is 6 lbs/gal, which is 300 lbs just in fuel, not including the weight of the outboard, batteries, fuel tank itself and possibly a kicker motor. When you add those all up you've got well over 1,000 lbs, which is over half the weight of the boat and likely one of them many reasons why they ride so poorly.

arima fuel tank.jpg

Last edited: