Plywood "rigging box" panels under helm

aa331

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Moving my GPS down to what I call the "glove compartment". Tight fit, but it should work.

To pull out the old cables, I took off the rigging box made of 2 wood panels imediately to the right of the step on the helm (where the hull load rating / max passenger / HP plate is located).

The bottom edges are slightly rotted, not really surprised.

I can get marine plywood and cut them to size, no problem, but the wood is covered (front and back) by some type of plastic laminate material, almost like formica but not as thick. Does anyone know what this material is, and where can I get it? Also, if I can purchase the plywood already covered with this material that would be best.

Thanks!

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
aa331 How bad is the rot? If it is only an Inch or so you may want to think about cutting a little off the bottom and it still should hide and cover the rigging.

aa331

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
GW Voyager,
The panels reach the deck, so if I cut an inch off the bottom it would leave a space off the floor, and that's going to be obvious. The sides facing the hull are not straight so lowering it would not work either.

I called Grady CS today, the panel comes larger than needed and I would have to custom fit it. Will use the old ones as a template. Not sure on the $ yet, have to go through an authorized dealer, ironic for a piece of plywood I have to cut myself.

Will keep searching locally, but obviously I want it to look as original as possible.

Thanks! Alex

aa331

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Grady descriptions and PNs.

Plywood w "Formica" covering PN 08-498 sold by sq ft.
Welt / trim PN 34-260 sold by the linear ft.