Poor Battery Charging

GW

Reaction score
Just switched from size 24 Interstate battery to 27 series Deka Marine and have found degraded recharging. Mid to high throttle only produces 13.0 voltage and 13.4 to 13.6 at idle speeds. Batteries at dock are 2.6 and degrade to 2.2 in 10 days. Running 250HPDI and using only 1 battery bank per day on the battery selector. Is this normal.....or possible alternator problem? Thanks for suggestions![/b]

gerrys

Reaction score
Just to clarify:
1. Single motor?
2. how recent was the battery upgrade?
Batteries at the dock 2.6-2.2???? do you nean 12.6 degrading to 12.2?

A few thoughts:
13.0 is low at mid to high throttle, I would expect something greater than 13.5.
How long are your runs at med-high speed?
Are the batteries at dock kept on a charger?
If not on charger, is the battery switch kept in the on position? (either one two or both)
After 10 days can the motor still be started on either battery?

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hmmm...see if you can get VDC output for that model engine from a service manual. Sounds like a failed voltage regulator which could very well be integrated with the alternator - perhaps someone can confirm that. The charging circuit is rated at 50amp for that motor, output voltage should be 14.2 to 15 volts for charging standard lead-acid batteries. Put a multi-meter on it and see what you're getting with the engine off and running.

Mine puts out 14.4 on charge, 12.4-12.6 on the dash gauge at full charge, 12.6 to 12.8 with a meter on the batteries. The latter is considered full-charge for a lead-acid battery. They generally don't drop any over a couple of weeks sitting.

Frankly, I don't think your battery change over has anything to do with your charge voltage. It's probably why your old batteries failed, if that's the case.

seasick

Reaction score
If at idle (730rpm or so), you are seing 13.5 or so, that says that the batteries need charging. When you rev and see 13 volts, that says something is wrong. You should see higher voltages up to 14.5 or so depending again on charge state. Unfortunately, I can't say what part is defective.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
Before you get too involved I had a similar situation this spring with poor charging, erratic voltage and minimal battery life. It was caused by a very dumb mistake on my part. I connected both ends of the ground strap that goes between the batteries to one battery. GW uses a jumper between the batteries rather than bringing both grounds back to the switch.

Check to make sure the ground strap between batteries is connected to both batteries. If you have the strap connect at both ends to one battery you will see the exact issue that you are having.

GW

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! My mistake on the 2.2 and 2.6.....I meant 12.2 and 12.6. Yes, I'm shutting off battery switch when leaving dock. Single motor always cranks up on one battery even after 1 month or more at dock. It seems there is a problem because if I get 13.4 at low RPM's and only 13.0 at full throttle. My grounds are correct, however, I'll give them a once over again.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
GW said:
>snip
It seems there is a problem because if I get 13.4 at low RPM's and only 13.0 at full throttle.
>snip

That still sounds like a voltage regulator to me. Perhaps someone can suggest a test or definitive answer on how to replace one. Or maybe that's indicative of a failing alternator?

seasick

Reaction score
What year and model motor.? I may have some docs on testing the lighting coil and regulator/rectifier.