port a poti with macerator- Where's the #2 go?

arich

Reaction score
I just bought a 2003 Grady White 257 Advance with only 48 hours. I've completed all the routine maintenance to the HPDI engines and the boat is running really well.

Well it's got a port a poti with a macerator pump and my daughters thought is was like a home toilet and christened it. I was hoping they would stick with #1 and leave the #2 at home. Well I figured out how to use the manual pump and the trap door but there are two tubes come out the back. Does this go to a holding tank? What's the pump for? I found a large black valve behind the round hatch in the head. Next to the fuel on the starboard side is a WASTE cap. I assume this is for the pump out. There's also an odor in there. What can I do to get rid of this or does this come with the territory?

Can someone please explain the operation of this? I dont want to dump the #2 in the marina by accident!!!

Thanks

jaydub

Reaction score
I have a porti potty with a macerator discharge too so yours is probably similar. The holding tank is the porti potty itself. It is plumbed to an overboard discharge with a macerator AND it is plumbed to the pump out located on the top of the gunwale. Keep it mind you can only use the overboard discharge if you are beyond 3 miles in the ocean. The rest of the time you need to use the pump out line. There should be a Y valve that diverts between the 2 and it is important you have it in the pump out position if you get inspected and are within 3 miles. My local marina offers free pumpouts so I just get it done each time I fuel up. To keep the odor down, I add one packet of dry "Odorlos" and a gallon of water in the pump out port after it is drained. West marine has it. That stuff helps pretty good. There is also a water tank on the porti potty that holds the water for flush. Sometimes this can get pretty nasty when it hasn't been used much. I add about 1/2 tsp of bleach to the water if it gets nasty and that helps too. Hope that helps!

uncljohn

Reaction score
I thought you had to be 25 miles offshore before you could unload your toilet holding tank.

lgusto

Reaction score
My Gulfstream has the same setup. It is nearly impossible to get solid waste to flow out the drain pipe using either the macerator or a pump out.....don't ask me how I know. Tell everyone on board that #2 stays onshore.

Three miles is the demarcation line for overboard waste - see CFR 33.159.3. I believe there are some more restrictive exceptions, notably Alaska.

It's hard to find laws on the following, but portable toilets are not considered installed toilets and are not subject to MSD regulations. But they are subject to disposal regulations which prohibit the disposal of raw sewage within territorial waters (3 mile limit), the Great Lakes, or navigable rivers.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
had an '02 gulfstream with that setup. no problems, but i always used Odorlos (liquid). it not only acts on odor, but it breaks down the contents. you really shouldn't have a problem. good luck, ron