Port Engine Wont Start

Tom H

Reaction score
Hi guys , need some help from the mechanically minded, Yamaha expert.
Went to fire up the engines this morning. I have had some problems with the batteries going flat for which I can only maybe relate to the carbon monoxide alarm which beeps for no reason? Charger has been on.
The S/board engine started no problem but the port just makes a groaning noise as it starts to wind and stops as though the battery is flat.
The volt meter in the guage drops down fron 14v to 10.5 when trying to start the S/B eng whilst the port is running with revs up.
I've tried with both battery switches in the one and the both positions, the port starts no problem.
When I try starting the S/B while not running the port (allowing me to hear any strange noises) once it fails to keep cranking over, after turning off the key there is a purring type ticking noise coming from the eng for a couple of seconds, sounds like a relay clicking or maybe the fuel pump?
The boat hasn't been started for about a month.
I would expect it to be a loose cable but before removing all that plastic bolted to the eng I thought I'd just check if someone could point me in the right direction as to the cause and what cowlings to remove off the engine and where to look for the cause? Anyone had a simular problem.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
Before you get too involved here check and clean all of your ground and positive connections to the batteries. Pay very close attention to the condition of the cables and their connections and make 100% sure that the grounds are connected correctly. THIS IS IMPORTANT. Grady jumps their grounds directly between batteries not through the switch. If someone that is not familiar with this practice screws around with your batteries it is very possible to wind up with this cross over ground cable connected on both sides of one negative battery post. If this happens you will get exactly the symptoms you are experiencing.

Next get a hydrometer and check your batteries, I doubt that this is it particularly if both batteries on their own will start the starboard engine but this is a process of elimination. Once these basics are out of the way then you can start digging deeper.

When I run into this type of issue I start at the batteries and work in. My guess is that you have a ground problem between the port engine and its battery or the ground cross over. Someone out there that is familiarly with this boat might confirm which battery is the primary to ground. I bet it is the starboard battery.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
And if that doesn't do it, here's some other thoughts about the cables: I would also check them at the engine. If either hot or ground are corroded or loose, you will have this problem. It also could be the starter solenoid (relay contacts). If you are familiar with a test meter (multimeter), check for 12v+ at the engine block and starter + term, while someone turns the key to "start".

If you find low voltage there, as I am sure you will, then work your way back, one terminal at at time, toward the battery, and do that same test.

It is not likely, anything to do with the C/O alarm beeping. They draw very little current, even from a small calculator battery, and would not be drawing down your mains.

Tom H

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions

Hi Guys, thanks for the suggestions.
I still have two of the origional batteries in the boat with two replacements (one on each side).
They are dry cell and don't have a load tester so can't check them, but one of the old one's ( the port side one) is very puffed out on the side casing which I would suspect is stuffed. This would explain the batteries going flat when sitting.
I wasn't sure if the motor cables connect directly to the control switches meaning by switching both to 1 would eliminate the port batteries all together or if all the batteries still have an effect?
I'll replace the suspect looking battery tonight and see what happens and go from there.
The carbon monoxide sensor beeping, is this maybe related to low battery power?

SlimJim

Reaction score
if its not the batterys, it could be fuel problem, and your port engine could be picking up stuff from the tank as its the lower pick up. Sounds like its a ground battery problem to me tho.

Tom H

Reaction score
We'll see tonight , but while I've got you there:

Ok thanks, will see tonight.
I doubt it's fuel as the motor wont wind over just tries 1/2 a revolution or so.
But while you're mentioning fuel.
We had a cyclone a few months back (you call them hurricans) and I discovered afterwards that the oring was gone from the front fuel cap, front tank. The rain was that heavy it's put water in the tank.
I need to get the water out of the fuel in that tank as it pretty well instantly filled the racors and eng filters when I last switched over to that tank which fortunately happened on a calm day not making it too interesting cleaning them all out.
I've rigged up a line incorporating an old big racor from a diesel boat I used to have to pump the fuel from the front tank back to the rear separating off the water. From your comments what I would like to know is which pipe on the tank or at the switcher should I be connecting to to draw from the lowest point in this tank?
This most likely should have been a new question but I think you know the answer I need.

Tom H

Reaction score
Thanks again, I'll know in about 2 hours. It's 4.30 pm here on Monday, don't you guys sleep, it should be the middle of the night over there.
Tom

gerrys

Reaction score
I new battery in each bank? One battery is puffed out on the sides?

One bad battery kills the whole bank as it drags the good battery down to the bad level. I'd suggest putting the two new batteries (if you haven't killed them already) together in the same bank and then try to start both motors off that bank. This is not a fuel problem if the motor won't turn over.!