Portable fuel bladders

sgradywhite

Reaction score
I have a 300 Marlin. Cutting it close with the fuel on my long trips. Has anyone used a fuel bladder in this size boat? How durable? Can you sit on them or do you need to walk over them carefully until you have used enough fuel to empty and store? Where do you typically mount them? I assume right on the deck. Any paticular brands suggestions appreciated.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
sgradywhite said:
I have a 300 Marlin. Cutting it close with the fuel on my long trips. Has anyone used a fuel bladder in this size boat? How durable? Can you sit on them or do you need to walk over them carefully until you have used enough fuel to empty and store? Where do you typically mount them? I assume right on the deck. Any paticular brands suggestions appreciated.

Yes, briefly.

Very durable.

Not for seating. Or walking on.

In the cockpit, with tie down straps.

Best ones: http://www.atlinc.com/rangeextender.html

Brian

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
How do you get the gas from the drum to the tank?

Southern Hunter

Reaction score
A small handpump, once you get a few gallons out you can sit the drum on the small step of my 305 Express going from my cockpit to the gunnel of the boat, and from there the drum siphons right into the tank. Total time to pump off 60 gallons is about 15 mins. Easy as pie!

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
gerrys said:
Brian:
How do you fill the tanks from deck level?

We had a 50-gal ATI bladder. Only used it a few times when we had our original 250HP OX66 single engine. Didn't need it after we repowered with twin F150s.

I found that 80% of the fuel would gravity drain through a 3/8-inch fuel line in about 25 minutes, from the bladder to the main tank. I used the second connection to the tank, under the aft pie plate, which had a plug in it.

Once the bladder was mostly drained, I would maneuver it around as needed to get the rest of the fuel to drain. After that it got rolled up and placed in the walkaround on the port side.

Sold the bladder after repowering, as our fuel efficiency improved about 40%, as measured in nm/gal.

Brian

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My buddies has a soft tank bladder, not sure of the brand but I can find out. He straps it in his cockpit and then stores it after he burns it on the way out. His is roughly 80gal. He actually put in a T in his fuel lines and added quick disconnects from the fuel bladder to the T so when he uses it is connects quick and fuel is pumped from the tank from the lines suction and the pump, and when used up he just changed the valve direction, disconnects it and folds it up. They are very durable and will last a while if cared for. I would NOT sleep or sit or lay on one, it is fuel after all and I'd stay away from it when possible, plus they are not designed for that type of punishment. If your pushing your fuel limit, they are a great addition and are very reliable and fairly easy to use if set up correctly.