powering a 192 Tournament

eric80

Reaction score
Is a 1984 (not used for 10 years but fixed up) - 130hp 2 stroke going to power a 192 Tournament with kids and gear etc?

Sounds like the 130 will give me ok top speed but will it give me the pep I"ll need to move around in the chop dodging wind swept waves?

Sounds like this hull is rated for up to a 200hp. Am I correct that a 130hp motor on this boat will give it minimum get up and go?

If I am correct then do I have to go 150, 175 or jump up to the 200?

Thanks.
I"d like to go four stroke, then will need a kicker.

This will be a multi use boat. Puget Sound, Gulf of Georgia ( pacific northwest ) some outside use, lake.

Fish, ski, board, etc etc.

tbyrne

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Power

I have a 1985 19 ft Tournament with a 140 Suzuki 2 stroke and it moves well.

Pulls skiers, Tubes fully loaded and great for fishing as well.

A 130 will probably be OK in my opinion.

T

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My '86 190 Tournament had a 150 on it...would run 43-44 and cruise at 32-33.

These models have a 20" transom...if you go searching for a used motor, keep that in mind.

eric80

Reaction score
great info

thanks for the comments, think I best ad a little more.
Thanks to those that replied already. Sounds like a 130 and or a 150 will give me pretty good speed, though part of my concern is when out in the waves and weather.
Will the smaller motor get up on plane quick and or give the power to get the hull out of the hole quickly.
i.e. when in the 'junk' and you put the throttle up will the 130 ish work the hole? you know when the waters not flat and you're twisting turning around the swells and breaking waves will it be 'sporty'?

Bama96

Reaction score
Re: great info

eric80 said:
thanks for the comments, think I best ad a little more.
Thanks to those that replied already. Sounds like a 130 and or a 150 will give me pretty good speed, though part of my concern is when out in the waves and weather.
Will the smaller motor get up on plane quick and or give the power to get the hull out of the hole quickly.
i.e. when in the 'junk' and you put the throttle up will the 130 ish work the hole? you know when the waters not flat and you're twisting turning around the swells and breaking waves will it be 'sporty'?
It's a 19' boat of course it's going to be sporty in the rough stuff. The 130 would be fine. 150 ideal and the 200 over kill. IMO.

eric80

Reaction score
getting out of the hole

deleted as it's a copy of above post, sorry, new at this

delongo

Reaction score
I have a 1994 tourney with a yamaha 200hp 2 stroke saltwater series and the thing moves. I love having the extra power, it's great. However, if i had some money, i'd put on a brand new 4stroke 150. But having the 200 has been perfect for me except my wallet sort of hates me sometimes :)

milt roe

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2000 192 Tournament without a motor, and after looking around at differrent motors I put a 175hp etec on it. I'm Still dialing in the motor (needs to come up a hole or two) then maybe fiddle with the prop. But right now I'm getting around 45 mph top end at 5300 rpm. Seems like a great match for the boat, and that thing will troll down to 500 rpm and run all day fishing for salmon.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I had the Yammah F150 on my 192. Put over 500 hours on that motor without a flaw. I loved that motor.