Price drop on a 2002 GW 228 Seafarer for sale - $27,500

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've seen this 2002 GW 228 Seafarer on BoatTrader.com for awhile now and it looks like they just dropped it down $6,400 today to a new asking price of $27,500. Looks to be a decent boat with no bottom paint, it has the highest amount of hp available for the year with a 250hp Yamaha 4 stroke and only 111 hours, just needs a trailer if you wanted one. It does have a few switches or items that don't work on it, as indicated in the sea trial run video. The boat is not mine, just passing it along for anyone else who is interested. There's also a video on YouTube of them doing a sea trial run on the boat. Anyway, here it is....

KEZ

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Does look like a nice boat and I inquired today - it is under contract with an inspection scheduled for Monday - missed another good one!

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Does look like a nice boat and I inquired today - it is under contract with an inspection scheduled for Monday - missed another good one!
That doesn't necessarily mean it will work out. If you're serious about the boat I'd call back tomorrow or Tuesday to see if the potential buyer actually bought the boat or not. Lots of deals fall through because they don't have the funds or whatnot, or the surveyor finds something wrong with the boat and both parties can't agree on a price. Fortunately for my boat purchase they only dealt with in person offers and I think that obviously deterred a bunch of people on the west coast or elsewhere out of state that could've done the purchase over the phone and then had the boat shipped. It appears to be a decent boat, though there are a handful of switches and other items that are inoperable as shown on the sea trial run on the YouTube video.

KEZ

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Re: phone call - good idea! I left an email with the same message but a call would not hurt. I can fix the small things listed as non-functioning, but would like to put eyeballs on all hoses, electrical connections, etc to get a personal assessment of condition. Anyone know a good marine surveyor local to Beaufort, NC?

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Re: phone call - good idea! I left an email with the same message but a call would not hurt. I can fix the small things listed as non-functioning, but would like to put eyeballs on all hoses, electrical connections, etc to get a personal assessment of condition. Anyone know a good marine surveyor local to Beaufort, NC?
I've used these sites in the past with good results, just look for a marine surveyor in the area where the boat is listed and then check Google for reviews and so forth. It's always a good idea to call them and see how much they charge for the inspection as well as what all they look over. Some just look over the boat, some will look into the motor, get the readout from the ECU, check compression, drop the lower unit and so forth. Some do sea trial runs, others don't, or you have to pay extra for. Also, most surveyors seem to be, or at least were when I called around about a month ago or so, 2-3 weeks out before being able to get to you. I'm sure it's probably slowed down some since then in areas with colder climates but in the southeast and southwest I'm sure they're probably just as busy as ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: KEZ