Price Guidance on a 1995 208 w/ f150 and MK trolling motor

B_Darling

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I am on the fence if I should sell my current boat. I am really happy with this boat and is great for most of what I like to do. It is a 1995 208 Adventure with a F150 (800 hours), minn kota 36v trolling motor and 50AH lithium battery, transom is good, 2007, 7" fish finder/depth sounder and no trailer. It is in better than average condition for a 28 year old boat and I am located in NJ. If I can get a decent amount for this boat, I am considering upgrading to a 282 Sailfish. The prices in my area are all over the place, which is why I am asking the crowd here. I have seen some in this vintage for $16k with a 2 stroke and some over $35k with a newer 4 stroke. None of them had the trolling motor and lithium battery. (approx. $6k installed retail value) IMO, $35k is a bit high for my boat, but I would definitely take it. :cool:. What does the crowd think my boat is worth if I were to sell it myself?

I welcome any constructive feedback.

Attachments

• IMG_4300.jpeg
    IMG_4300.jpeg
    849.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

MA208

Reaction score
I’d list it at 25k. Going to be harder to sell without a trailer though.

Reactions: B_Darling

1995Grady

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I have a 1995 Adventure as well with a 175hp Johnson Oceanrunner (1100hrs) listed at $10k with a 2002 trailer…No exaggeration I’ve had it up for 3 months now and only one person inquired. It doesn’t seem to be a sellers market at the moment my friend. Shrink wrapping it in 2 weeks and will try again next year. Good luck with everything and hopefully you do better then myself.

B_Darling

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have a 1995 Adventure as well with a 175hp Johnson Oceanrunner (1100hrs) listed at $10k with a 2002 trailer…No exaggeration I’ve had it up for 3 months now and only one person inquired. It doesn’t seem to be a sellers market at the moment my friend. Shrink wrapping it in 2 weeks and will try again next year. Good luck with everything and hopefully you do better then myself.
Same to you. Where are you located?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
This isn't going to be what you want to hear, but I don't think you're going to get above $15k for your boat, maybe not even much over $10k. I guess for me, I always compare what I paid for my boat to what others are listing theirs for. I bought my boat for $26.5k back in October of 2021 in Maryland. She's a 2004 Grady White 228 Seafarer with the hardtop, a 2004 Yamaha F225 with 1k hours at the time, 2009 aluminum I-beam trailer, basic 7" Garmin touchscreen device, etc. I know that I got a better than average deal on my boat, that being said my boat is 2' longer, is almost 10 years newer than yours, has the hardtop on it, comes with a trailer and is much more desirable comparatively in terms of selling/purchasing than your boat. With it being almost late October now and essentially wintertime, I can't imagine your boat would sell for much over $15k, especially if you don't have a trailer. I think as 1995Grady also mentioned, I'd wait until next spring and then go from there as it will be more of a sellers market, and if he's struggling to sell his boat with a trailer for $10k then I can't imagine yours would sell for $15k or more without one. Even if you do have a 4 stroke motor on the boat. I can't really give any sort of opinion on the Minn-Kota trolling motor up front in terms of value as those aren't really a thing out here in the Seattle area for saltwater fishing. I guess if I was looking at a boat with one of those on it, it wouldn't be a selling point for me at all, in fact it might even detract from me being interested in it because it would be more holes drilled through the boat on ultimately something I'd never use. Not trying to be rude or negative or anything, but you did ask for an honest opinion, which that would be mine. Below is a link to a boat for sale on Craigslist that's "similar" to yours and is being listed for $20k yet it comes with a trailer and a newer outboard. It's been listed for almost 2 weeks now and I'd keep an eye on it to see if it sells. Good luck with whatever you decide on doing.

Last edited:

B_Darling

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
This isn't going to be what you want to hear, but I don't think you're going to get above $15k for your boat, maybe not even much over $10k. I guess for me, I always compare what I paid for my boat to what others are listing theirs for. I bought my boat for $26.5k back in October of 2021 in Maryland. She's a 2004 Grady White 228 Seafarer with the hardtop, a 2004 Yamaha F225 with 1k hours at the time, 2009 aluminum I-beam trailer, basic 7" Garmin touchscreen device, etc. I know that I got a better than average deal on my boat, that being said my boat is 2' longer, is almost 10 years newer than yours, has the hardtop on it, comes with a trailer and is much more desirable comparatively in terms of selling/purchasing than your boat. With it being almost late October now and essentially wintertime, I can't imagine your boat would sell for much over $15k, especially if you don't have a trailer. I think as 1995Grady also mentioned, I'd wait until next spring and then go from there as it will be more of a sellers market, and if he's struggling to sell his boat with a trailer for $10k then I can't imagine yours would sell for $15k or more without one. Even if you do have a 4 stroke motor on the boat. I can't really give any sort of opinion on the Minn-Kota trolling motor up front in terms of value as those aren't really a thing out here in the Seattle area for saltwater fishing. I guess if I was looking at a boat with one of those on it, it wouldn't be a selling point for me at all, in fact it might even detract from me being interested in it because it would be more holes drilled through the boat on ultimately something I'd never use. Not trying to be rude or negative or anything, but you did ask for an honest opinion, which that would be mine. Below is a link to a boat for sale on Craigslist that's "similar" to yours and is being listed for $20k yet it comes with a trailer and a newer outboard. It's been listed for almost 2 weeks now and I'd keep an eye on it to see if it sells. Good luck with whatever you decide on doing.

No offense taken, this is why I ask. You may be right about the $15k, and I certainly agree on market timing and no trailer as detractors. Thanks for sharing the Craigslist listing. While I do not think my boat is worth $35k either, I do have two comments on your response.
1) bottom fishing is big around here and the trolling motor with spot lock is very desirable. I do not anticipate getting back 100% on it, but in my area, at least 20-30% of the boats in this class have one. So I think there is added value there.
2) the boat you shared, even though it has an engine with less hours, and is newer, is an evinrude. They may be perfectly fine engines, but the perception is to avoid them because of the bankruptcy. I think that lowers the value significantly.

These are my opinions and I appreciate your input as well.

B_Darling

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Good luck to you as well

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I am on the fence if I should sell my current boat. I am really happy with this boat and is great for most of what I like to do. It is a 1995 208 Adventure with a F150 (800 hours), minn kota 36v trolling motor and 50AH lithium battery, transom is good, 2007, 7" fish finder/depth sounder and no trailer. It is in better than average condition for a 28 year old boat and I am located in NJ. If I can get a decent amount for this boat, I am considering upgrading to a 282 Sailfish. The prices in my area are all over the place, which is why I am asking the crowd here. I have seen some in this vintage for $16k with a 2 stroke and some over $35k with a newer 4 stroke. None of them had the trolling motor and lithium battery. (approx. $6k installed retail value) IMO, $35k is a bit high for my boat, but I would definitely take it. :cool:. What does the crowd think my boat is worth if I were to sell it myself?

I welcome any constructive feedback.
The selling season in NJ starts slowly now. Buyers want to close by March to get ready for the next season. This isn't a boat I would list with a broker so you have to try Facebook Marketplace (watch for scammers), BoatTrader, Yachtworld and a few of the other paper and online listings. You could list it and hang with your asking price and see what interest and offers you get. A 28 year old boat is not an easy sell. On the flip side you are buying an old boat as an upgrade. You have no idea of the condition of the boat. Be warry of transom and stringer issues. You could be making an expensive jump into a lesser boat.

I have been doing extensive makeover work on my 1997 268 Islander. I decided to make the boat what I want it to be and stay with it.

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
No offense taken, this is why I ask. You may be right about the $15k, and I certainly agree on market timing and no trailer as detractors. Thanks for sharing the Craigslist listing. While I do not think my boat is worth $35k either, I do have two comments on your response.
1) bottom fishing is big around here and the trolling motor with spot lock is very desirable. I do not anticipate getting back 100% on it, but in my area, at least 20-30% of the boats in this class have one. So I think there is added value there.
2) the boat you shared, even though it has an engine with less hours, and is newer, is an evinrude. They may be perfectly fine engines, but the perception is to avoid them because of the bankruptcy. I think that lowers the value significantly.

These are my opinions and I appreciate your input as well.
I guess out here, the fishing is quite a bit different and even kicker motors are rarely seen up front on the bow. If someone does have a kicker motor then they'll typically get a bracket on the stern of the boat and get an outboard kicker motor. If they want, they can get an autopilot or something similar that they can control from the helm, which imo is a bit nicer as well as cheaper compared to spending $6k for the setup you went with. Nothing wrong with that of course, just my opinion and a different style of fishing. Second, the Evinrude motor wouldn't be my first choice either, though neither would a now 30 year old 20' boat. That being said, I heard that Evinrude motors are being serviced by Mercury dealers. Whether that's true or not, I'm not positive, but my buddy does have twin Etec's on his Wooldridge and he hasn't had anyone refuse to work on them or anything. Again, they wouldn't be my first choice as I prefer 4 stroke motors over 2 strokes any day of the week, it was more just for purposes of comparison. Though I will also say, the early F150-F250 Yamaha's are known to potentially have the very well documented dry exhaust corrosion problem, so that might be a reason why someone could also be hesitant about your boat. I'm assuming the outboard on yours is the 2007 part mentioned above? But yes, definitely not a $35k boat imo, or anywhere close to that. I think $15k might be a decent listing price to start and then maybe go from there? The other problem imo, is that for just a bit more money, low to mid $20k's, you can get a considerably newer 208 Adventure with 4 stroke power and maybe even a trailer included. Which to me, if I saw your boat for sale for say $15k-$20k and then the one below for $26.5k, then I'm definitely going to go with the newer boat that also comes with a trailer, hardtop, etc.

Last edited:

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I guess out here, the fishing is quite a bit different and even kicker motors are rarely seen up front on the bow. If someone does have a kicker motor then they'll typically get a bracket on the stern of the boat and get an outboard kicker motor. If they want, they can get an autopilot or something similar that they can control from the helm, which imo is a bit nicer as well as cheaper compared to spending $6k for the setup you went with. Nothing wrong with that of course, just my opinion and a different style of fishing. Second, the Evinrude motor wouldn't be my first choice either, though neither would a now 30 year old 20' boat. That being said, I heard that Evinrude motors are being serviced by Mercury dealers. Whether that's true or not, I'm not positive, but my buddy does have twin Etec's on his Wooldridge and he hasn't had anyone refuse to work on them or anything. Again, they wouldn't be my first choice as I prefer 4 stroke motors over 2 strokes any day of the week, it was more just for purposes of comparison. Though I will also say, the early F150-F250 Yamaha's are known to potentially have the very well documented dry exhaust corrosion problem, so that might be a reason why someone could also be hesitant about your boat. I'm assuming the outboard on yours is the 2007 part mentioned above? But yes, definitely not a $35k boat imo, or anywhere close to that. I think $15k might be a decent listing price to start and then maybe go from there? The other problem imo, is that for just a bit more money, low to mid $20k's, you can get a considerably newer 208 Adventure with 4 stroke power and maybe even a trailer included. Which to me, if I saw your boat for sale for say $15k-$20k and then the one below for $26.5k, then I'm definitely going to go with the newer boat that also comes with a trailer, hardtop, etc.

B_Darling - Above is the problem with the internet. Anyone or anyboty can post. I doubt this gibberish is useful advice to you. Unfortunately you have to filter it yourself. Don't give up though. The Great Grady site can be quite helpful.

Last edited:

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have a 208 in NJ. It’s a 2021 so not a comp for price but there is no reason to undersell.

- sure a trailer is nice or need to have but a lot more people in NJ keep their boats in the water than other places. Just my observation….and dry-docked at the Marina for winter. A trailer is extra stuff that needs to be put somewhere.
- there are not a lot of 208 for sale, I looked for one in particular versus a larger boat, runs well on 150-200hp, cheaper Marina cost, fuel sipper
- seaworthy enough for inshore on a nice day
- the MK is a far superior solution to a trolling motor on the back for NJ fishing in the bays and inshore, unless you have a new boat with Yamaha EX. If you fish alone it’s nearly a must have for spot lock or controlled drifts. I have spent the summer learning that and if I go with 1-2 others I would rather be fishing than managing a drift or hauling an anchor. Just no comparison for me.
- probably not a $35k boat but list it and see what you get, my gut says list for $29,000 you can always accept a lower number.
-detailed topside, clean bottom, good service records, everything repaired in working order
- and here is my suggestion, get a survey on your own dime, if the boat is in top condition you will get your money back or at least sell faster in the early spring….a great marketing tool.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Insurance companies typically want a survey on 10 year old boats before they will insure them. Seems to be a magic number for them. $500 to $1,000 though. A survey does help but buyer shouldn't rely on it. Maybe the buyer surveyor will cut them a deal if they can verify condition and re-use most of the survey. As a buyer I would use the survey and check everything myself but insurance companies want more transparency.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter A

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Insurance companies typically want a survey on 10 year old boats before they will insure them. Seems to be a magic number for them. $500 to $1,000 though. A survey does help but buyer shouldn't rely on it. Maybe the buyer surveyor will cut them a deal if they can verify condition and re-use most of the survey. As a buyer I would use the survey and check everything myself but insurance companies want more transparency.

Yeah agree with all that, buyer needs own diligence and docs to meet insurance requirements.

The goal is to get folks to actually come and see a boat, a marketing tool that I would grab my interest. Granted it is a bit unconventional and at $1,000 it is too much. For $500 I would roll the dice if I know my boat is really nice. “Better than average” doesn’t excite me as a buyer. The MK setup is for me a big selling point. I have been spec’ing out how to do it so am biased, it is an expensive addition.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ah yes... the joy of having a mute/ignore button.

Back to the topic at hand... I honestly can't see how the OP's setup would get him over $20k, not to mention close to $30k, given the rest of the competition out there. But I'm hoping for his sake that I'm wrong and either way, good luck to the OP with whatever you decide on doing.

Last edited: