Pricing on a 2003 GW 225 Tournament?

ducman

Reaction score
I am in the market for a 225 Tournament and have found one that I am interested in. Its a 2003 model with 225 yamaha fstroke mounted on a bracket. The boat has low hours but the boat has spent a lot of time in the weather on an uncovered lift. There is no trailer available and it will probably need upgraded electronics and a vhf radio. Overall the boat checks out ok and the sea trial was uneventful. I have checked NADA price guide and also called a Grady White dealership to help determine a relative value as well as looked at existing ads for 225s for sale. NADA and the dealer came in at around $27,000 without a trailer. Ads for 225s either privately or by broker where upper $20,000s to $40,000 but how do you know what they might actually sell for less the broker's commission. Anyone have any thoughts on how close that might be as I would like to make an offer on the boat. I priced a trailer at between $3600 to $5300 for a trailer with the upper figure quoted by a Rolls dealer. My budget is roughly $32,000. Thanks!

Lew

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
So, unless I am too sleepy I did not see what you said the asking price was. That will be a key determinant; in the sense that fair market value is at the cross section of what a willing buyer and seller are willing to settle for. There are dealer stats that can be obtained that shows actual selling prices for "similiar" boats have sold for. The "similar" can be tricky in that you need to compare not only condition etc but also electronics and equipment. A radar unit could cost close to $ 10,000 for example. Lastly it is impossible to determine the last 10 % of any sale imho. More important than the las 2 or 3 thousand and maybe more is being relatively sure that this is the right boat for you and that the boat an motor are in good shape. Do a survey and have the motor checked out. Having said all this I believe a price between $ 22,000 and $25,000 is about right. lew

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
These boats hold their value. The price will also be affected by where the boat is...FL boats will typically be the least expensive. NE and West Coast boats will be more.

I've been watching 225s pretty closely...if its in the condition you say, I would say high 20s.

You can buy a top of the line (Owens and Sons) trailer for less than $4K. A solid (Loadmaster, ACE) mid-level trailer is probably $3500. Rolls makes a nice trailer, but not $2K more nice.

CWOT

Reaction score
We purchased a Grady within the last year, had a choice of a few private boats and 2 dealer boats, 2007-2009.
After the opening quotes the best deals were coming in at NADA or less with no $$ added on for extras.

We found that the largest determining factor was how badly they wanted to sell the boat.
Did they have a large bank loan open on the boat.
And the best deals were from sellers that wanted to move up to a larger boat.

The condition and age of the boat that you are looking at we would have wanted to offer a lot less than NADA.