Profish 700 install

Dawgvet98

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'm looking to replace my windlass on a 06 282 Sailfish with a Profish 700. The present windlass is installed over the anchor locker on a raised pedestal, which is too small to mount the profish on. My idea is to remove the pedestal down to the hatch level and cover the hole with either 1"or 1 1/2" starboard affixed with the screws that hold the hatch down as shown in the attached picture. Then mount the new winch to the starboard.

Any of you more mechanically inclined people out in 'net land see a problem with this idea? Should I maybe reinforce the starboard with a plate under it thru bolted with the winch studs?

Thanks for any ideas you guys have.

Rickwindlass.jpg

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Is that panel wide enough for the Profish? I replaced the anchor locker hatch with whatever thickness starboard it was that brought it to the original height, and mounted my horizontal windlass to that. Could go back to original with no problem. How large is that panel the windlass is on now? could you replace it with starboard? Looks like you have just enough room to mount the 700 pulling straight down the middle of the pulpit, and the motor just missing the hinged hatch to the right.

Reactions: Dawgvet98

Dawgvet98

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Is that panel wide enough for the Profish? I replaced the anchor locker hatch with whatever thickness starboard it was that brought it to the original height, and mounted my horizontal windlass to that. Could go back to original with no problem. How large is that panel the windlass is on now? could you replace it with starboard? Looks like you have just enough room to mount the 700 pulling straight down the middle of the pulpit, and the motor just missing the hinged hatch to the right.

The profish is 9 5/8 inches long and the hatch proper, not the opening, measure 9 3/4inches.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Sorry for the duplicate images. First time for photos on this site, I believe.
IMG_3732.JPGIMG_3732.JPGIMG_3735.JPGIMG_3735.JPG
If this is close to what your boat looks like, I would replace that whole piece that the windlass is sitting on with the same thickness of starboard. I think it would look better than a starboard plate on top of a big hole. And, you can always go back original. You could even use white, I just happened to have some black lying around.
https://www.gradywhite.com/models/dual-consoles/freedom-255/#&gid=1&pid=6

IMG_3736.JPGIMG_3736.JPG

Last edited:

Dawgvet98

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yes, mine looks identical to the 255, except the winch is raised on a pedestal about 1 inch or so

How large a winch did you install? How does the starboard handle the load?IMG_0110.jpg

Last edited:

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Along the same lines, you could replace the hatch with a plywood & fiberglass one. Would be much stronger than the starboard.
1/2" or 3/4" Douglas fir AB exterior plywood (ie Marine grade) NOT pressure treated. Round off the edges, glass & resin, paint it white.

Save the original if you want some garage clutter ; )