Prop Change for 1995 268 Islander

Coda

Reaction score
I've got a 1995 268 Islander, repowered with twin F150s. Loaded fishing weight is about 7,000 I'd best guess.

In the conditions I'm normally in (1'-3' chop or long period <3' seaswell) the boat rides its best at about 22-23 knots. The problem is I can't keep it there and I'm always fighing the throttles for the boat losing RPMs and falling off plane going up waves and gaining RPMs and pounding coming down the backsides. Ideal RPMs I've found are around 3700-3800.

Current prop setup are 3-blade 13-3/4" x 17M Yamaha Salt Water Series. Has anyone with a similiar setup and similiar issues experimented with going to a 4-blade prop setup to get a little more "bite" and abilty to keep the engines in the ideal RPM range?

Thanks!

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I had the same props on f150s with the 270. My hull is different than yours. I never had the problem in a head sea, but constantly lost traction in a following sea.
Before changing props, I would make sure your engine height is correct and your engines are trimmed correctly. If that all checks out, call Ken at Prop Gods. He will tell you if more cup, more blades, or if a different 3 blade will help.
I think a lot of people jump to 4 blades when a modded 3 blade or different 3 blade can fix a problem without the performance losses of a 4 blade. Ken's the guy who will know best and he will work with you to try props till you get what you need.