Prop Question for 20' Overnighter-15.5x17p

fdheld34

Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing a 15.5x 17p stainless prop for my 20' Overnighter. I will be running a 1996 Mercury 175hp Carbed...
Question
---will this prop be ok? Or would it be too much prop?

I have never run this motor/ prop combo on this boat before..Original setup was 150 Merc with 14.5x19p and it did ok.
Thanks for the help in advance!!!
-Fred

Cocoliso VI

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
There are several variables to consider when changing props. You need to know the WOT recommended range of the motor. Whatever prop you choose must allow the motor to achieve this WOT rpm without overreving. The higher the pitch of the prop the faster the boat will run as long as the engine can spin the prop to the WOT rpm. The lower the pitch of the prop the better the hole shot and the faster that the engine will spin-up. To make an analogy with a car the lower the pich the lower the gear the higher the pitch the higher the gear. Based on this analogy you can see why getting the right prop and motor combo is like an art. You might try going to the GW website and looking over the performance reports and see what props they run on a boat motor combo similar to yours and start there. The bottom line is that sometimes this becomes a trial and error excersise until the right prop is found for your boat/motor combo and how you use the boat. Good luck!!