Prop question for a 226 Seafarer with 200HP Yamaha

Oceanbean

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a friend with a late model Grady White 226 Seafarer with Yamaha 200 HP V-6 Fuel Injected Outboard.

He asked me the following question. I figured you all would know better than I. Any thoughts?

I need some guidance regarding the propeller for my boat. The three blade aluminum propeller that was on my boat when I purchased it needs to be replaced (nicked and worn). While I cannot read the diameter specifications on the back side of that propeller, the front indicates that its pitch is “19-M.” When I bought the boat, there was an extra (new or reconditioned) stainless propeller that is “13 ¾ X 17 – M2.” Should there be any problem switching from a 19 pitch aluminum propeller to a 17 pitch stainless one? Would it be best to just replace the propeller with another aluminum 19 pitch propeller?

The boat is used for for tubing, skiing, fishing and just cruising around. There are usually five of us on the boat (two adults and three children under fifteen years old). Thanks for any help that you can offer in this regard.

Thank you,

Oceanbean
1993 Explorer V/P D/P

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had this exact setup...only difference was my 200 was an HPDI.

The stock prop would turn 5400 or so, but top speed was only about 37 mph. I experimented with props and found that the Mercury Mirage Plus in a 15.5x17 made a huge difference. At normal trim the boat would turn 5000 and 38 mph, but trim it out and it was like adding overdrive....another 400 rpm and 3 mph.

The most efficient cruising speed jumped from 26 to about 31 mph or so...I could see better than 3.5 mpg in that range.

These props are all over eBay...you should be able to make a deal. I paid less than $200 for mine, brand new. You will need a hub kit to fit the Yamaha...these run $35 or so.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
PROP

Don't waste your time with an aluminum prop. WAY too much flex for the boating you are doing. The RPM to speed ratio difference is staggering and it comes right down to the fuel dock. I put an aluminum on to "take for a test run" (228 w/ 250 SWS II) to have as a back-up and was extremely dissapointed in the performance (or lack there of). To be honest, it was kind of a joke how bad the boat performed. I have a Michigan Ballistic 3 bladed stainless and gained about 4 MPH over the stock SS Yami prop. @ same RPM's.

Jerseyboy1946

Reaction score
Just curious, I have a 95 226 Seafarer with a 95 200 hp saltwater series II,
I go into the Merc Prop Selector, I put in the spec's per the factory.
Boat with one engine-3350 lbs, Fuel-92 gals, people and gear-800 lbs, good overall performance goal and I come up with their recommendation of a 15 3/8 " x 18P Mirage Plus. I know that you recommended a 15.5" x 17P Mirage. Is there really that much diference. Merc specs for the 18P Mirage with my boat say 5000 rpm and 41.2 mph, not bad at all but what do you think the 15.5 x 17P prop would do ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Check out some of Michigan Propeller SS props. I have a Ballistic on my 228-w/ 250 SWS II. Awesome prop. & performance. I'll post the specs as soon as I can remember/confirm them.