Question for Owners Who Tow Frequently

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just purchased my first GW, a 208 with Yamaha 225 to push it. Did not come with a trailer. The boat weighs out with engine and full gas at 3.650, give or take a few. The Load Rite trailer in that size has a 3700-lb rating, or spend a few extra $$ and get a 4200-lb capacity. I plan on hauls of up to 4-5 hours, may be an occasional 8-hr job to Maine in the summer.

My truck is a Nissan Frontier, hp rating of 265 or so, and is rated to pull 6,000 lbs. Can I get your opinions please about whether to get the lighter trailer, or get the heavier one? And is Load Rite a good decision? Thanks in advance for your help. JF

dlevitt

Reaction score
I would suggest that you consider the heavier trailer. You will be amazed at how much extra weight will be "stored" on the boat. Also, if ever get a new boat, you may be able to use the same trailer and not be forced to buy another one later. Depending on $, you might want to also consider a trailer that would fit a larger boat... just incase.

Can I assume that you are looking at single axle trailers? Please make sure that it has brakes on it for safety (and possibly to keep it legal depending on your local laws).

Good luck.
David

gw204

Reaction score
Yep...heavier trailer.

And you really can't beat a Load Rite. Are you gettin' the galvanized roller?

gerrys

Reaction score
The money you spend now on a quality trailer is money you won't be spending later on repairs, break-downs, etc. I would also consider oil bath hubs as opposed to the grease type.

Average Joe

Reaction score
Go heavy. My 208 sits on a Venture 4700 roller trailer. I wouldn't recommend that particular trailer though.

chrisA.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
No doubt, go with the heavier trailer,dual axle with brakes too! With a full load of fuel and other "stuff",you'll be pushing that 4200 pound capacity too,better check that to be sure

Kenlahr

Reaction score
No doubt about it; go heavy. My Gulfstream sat on a 2-Axle EZLoader that the dealer assured me was the right fit, and by the numbers it was. The problem is that you are heavier than you think. My EzLoader was showing the strain after five years and multiple blow outs.

TunaT

Reaction score
trailer

I would echo everyone else's comments go with the heavier trailer. I would suggest tandem axle with electric brakes on at least the front wheels. I've put over in Crisfield area several times, I would highly recommend you get the best you can afford aluminum or galvanized at minimum, probably for that boat you can use a roller type trailer easier as some of the docks on low tide are so low you can't really use a bunk trailer to drive on. Also, get yourself the solid power wench to help pull that boat in. most people vastly undersize their required power so get a good one. On the ocean side (OC for example) has pretty good deep water ramps to work with....except for a few back creek ones you will be fine on this side.

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
I agree with everyone who here.

I have the same boat on a Rolls Alum. Tandom trailer. The trailer is rated for 6000 lbs. I tow it with a 3500 Dodge diesel and I can tell you that you know the boat is back there.

I also pull a 4-horse gooseneck trailer with living quarters with the same truck. The horse trailer and truck loaded setting on the scales is right at 16,000 pounds (truck=7400, trailer loaded=8600 +/- 150 lbs). The horse trailer doesn't give my truck anywhere near the workout that the Grady will.

Don't forget that you have to subtract the wt of the trailer from the gross weight to findout what the payload/net wt would be. So if your trailer can haul a gross wt of 6,000 lbs and it weights 900 lbs then you can haul a 5100 lbs payload.

IMO brakes are a must if you are hauling much over 2000 lbs. Your truck may be able to tow a certain amount of wt, but can it stop it in a hurry if you had to.

HD

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Unless I'm off, both trailers you mention appear to be dual axle, I bet the difference is more rollers and bigger tires/wheels, that's it.

No mistake in getting a Load Rite, they still use the larger size box tubes, no flexing when they are loaded. Overbuilt. You get what you pay for.

I had one for my 204C, went with the (heavier rated) extra rollers and bigger tires/wheels, single axle brakes, and washdown connection.
Larger wheels in case I blew a tire, wanted the remaining one to save the day, and more incl not giving me a heart attack at a high speed blowout.

I drove behind a professional tower who was towing my 252G to Montauk, these guys don't drive at 55 on three lane Route 27 if you know what I mean.
I smelled burning rubber, saw smoke, then blew my horn to no avail, watched the tire explode under my Sail at 65 mph.

That's as close to a heart attack I care to be.

I don't drve any more in sight of the boat, and found another tower.

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 208 Adventure with an F200 and a hardtop and bow pulpit so there is some extra weight. I do quite a bit of towing from our beach house in SC to our home in MD. I have an EZ Loader model TZ102 19-22/24 rated at 4300 LBS. It has the 14" tires, torsion suspension and surge disc brakes. I have had nothing but good service. Just make sure that you have the proper trailer to truck hook up for the lights and surge brakes (with the reverse lockout solenoid) or your trailer brakes will lock up when you back down that launch ramp. Don't ask how I know.

I have an F350 PSD dually but your Nissan should tow your boat with no problems.

fishhrd

Reaction score
Your 208 is heavier then you think. I pull a 209 with a 2002 F150 Fx4 which is rated for 7500 lbs I think and it pulls it ok. But once loaded with fuel and ice and I try to stop, I know it's back there. I would go with the heavier trailer becuase I would always have to much rather then to little.

GulfGrady

Reaction score
What year is your 208? Is the motor a F225 or a 2 stroke? A 2007 208 with a F225 weights almost 4100 lbs. with full fuel and nothing else.

hangman1176

Reaction score
Trailer

Caroline boat sales and service in Maryland (near Ridgley). They sell Road King trailers, They sell and size the trailer to your hull were stringers are located. Well built but if you trailer like I don't chince out! (roadkingtrailers.com)

okletsfish

Reaction score
When I bought my trailer[Loadmaster]it wasn`t that much more money to move up to the next weight class,so that is what I did.22/24` 7000#.

tuxedospike

Reaction score
Towing....

I used to tow a 19ft. CC from Orlando to Titusville FL. The rig weighted in at 3800lbs. and I was driving a GMC Jimmy rated at 5000 lbs. O.A.C. tow capacity. I found out that O.A.C. meant "Off a Cliff" and that there was a mountain between Orlando and Titusville even though it looks flat. Do yourself a huge favor and follow the advice give here about going heavier on the trailer but find someone who will let you tow their rig even around the neighborhood before you strike out on your own in a 3000 lb. truck and a 2 ton load. That tail can wag the dog.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
Hot Ajax,
My boats live on their trailers and I have had boats since 1987. Do your self a favor and get the bigger trailer. My new Tournament 225 will be on an Eagle 5800# trailer even though the boat, motor, gas etc is probably under 5000#. My suggestion is to build in a 10-15% overage in the trailer rated capacity compared to the boat weight. Our ramps here in KY are steep and long and our roads are hilly and twisting. You'll buy another truck before you get another trailer so do it right the first time. I personally think you'll wish you had more truck but it's probably pretty flat where you are. Enjoy the boat!

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
All really good advice here. I'd say it's pretty unanimous - go with a little reserve capacity, you'll never be sorry, never look back. Aluminum trailer, tandem axle, torsion suspension, and kodiak stainless brakes if you can get them:
http://www.kodiaktrailer.com/
Brakes on one axle is fine for this size boat.

The little truck may pull it but you probably won't like it. These guys with the big trucks and diesels tells you something. I think my duramax is a bit overkill, but for over the road work it's hard to beat. A full size half ton with a bigger motor I would think would be a minimum. You said Frontier? I don't think you're going to like the way it handles the weight. Over the long haul you're looking at trans and diff problems from heat.

I spend more time tinkering on my trailer than the boat (well, almost!). So far I've had cracked frame rails, leaky master cylinder, pads replaced, replaced two tires, almost all of the lights replaced, springs are rusty, recarpeted bunks, reset boat on it (moved it up some more). And it's not even two years old. It's a RoadKing aluminum, their economy model, with a 6000gvw rating. Much like a magic-tilt, there are many others out there just like it. Empty weight is about 675lbs, so you do save some from a galvanized trailer, comparable would be closer to a thousand pounds.

These are not cheap trailers either. And even with all of my issues, I still think it's better than a galvanized. But dunking them in the ocean is really abusive. Mine gets hosed off after EVERY launch. Any steel rusts like a SOB. The frame hardware is all stainless and galvanized, but the light mounting studs and such are zinc and they're all rusty after just a few months.

I would surely not want anything lighter, it's a real load on there and these are the little Gradys. Here's some pics of mine on the trailer:
http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4672
Kenlahr is the one with one helluva trailer, and that's a LOT of boat to pull!