question on '84 overnighter bilge pump

swampyankee

Reaction score
MY BILGE SWITCH HAS THREE POSITIONS, OFF - ON -STANDBY WITH WATER IN THE BILGE I TURN THE PUMP ON AND IT PUMPS BUT IF I SWITCH TO STANDBY IT STOPS, SHOULD'NT IT STILL PUMP IF THERE IS WATER PRESENT OR AM I NOT UNDERSTANDING THE STANDBY FUNCTION? THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP.

catch22

Reaction score
There's always going to be a some water, (should not be a great deal) in the bilge after it pumps out on stand-by. The float switch can only go so low. Even running the pump on manual, there will be a little, it depends on how close to the transom the pump is.

What type of set up do you have. An auto pump, with self contained float, or a pump and seperate float switch? If it has a seperate float switch, you should be able to manually move the float arm to check it out. Poor some water into your bilge and see what level the pump comes on. The only way to adjust it, is by physically lowering, or repositioning the float switch. Sometimes, you can reverse the position of the switch, (arm facing the stern) and the pump will come on sooner. If you do move it, make sure you use sealent on the screws.

Also, usually the the float switch will operate the pump in either off or standby, if it is directly connected to the battery. If it only works in stand by, that means it is connected to the boats main battery switch, (isolator). Nothing really wrong with that, but if you slip the boat, you cannot turn off the batteries, because the bilge pump will not work.

swampyankee

Reaction score
IT APPEARS TO BE SELF CONTAINED WHICH IS WHY I THOUGH IF IT WAS PUMPING ON MANUAL IT SHOULD CONTINUE TO PUMP WHEN SWITCHED TO STANDBY.

catch22

Reaction score
Need to know what model pump you have. If it has a self contained float switch, (like the newer Rule pumps) the only way to check it, is to put some water in the bilge. If it's not operating properly, the float inside may be jammed or damaged.

Some Rule pumps, (I think they're called "Rulamatic") work on a timer. They will run for a few seconds every 5 minutes or so. If they detect a load, (moving water) they continue to run untill the pump runs dry. If I'm not mistaken, they will run for a few seconds the moment you put the switch on stand by, and then go into the timer mode.

swampyankee

Reaction score
C-22 I'LL HAVE TO CHECK ON THE BRAND AND MODEL, I GUESS I SHOULD HAVE DONE THAT BEFORE I SLIPPPED THE BOAT.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
To add, when you throttle up coming out of your harbor to get on plane, the stern will sink and bilge water remaining will move back and rise in level, kicking off the bilge pump on my boat.

This is how is how I check the auto ckt works. Just turn around and see if any wayer is coming out the hull. Your boat perhaps too.

On manual feature, no harm in checking to see if the pump is working by periodically hitting the manual switch, just don't leave it on by error. This is in addition to checking the bilge visually periodically for anything abnormal incl water height.

If the auto circuit ever quits, at least you have the manual circuit to get the pump going if you are there.

catch22

Reaction score
BobP said:
To add, when you throttle up coming out of your harbor to get on plane, the stern will sink and bilge water remaining will move back and rise in level, kicking off the bilge pump on my boat.

This is how is how I check the auto ckt works. Just turn around and see if any wayer is coming out the hull. Your boat perhaps too.

Good point Bob. I have the same habit, except I run the bilge pump in manual, while I'm getting up on plane.... try to get it as empty as possible. :D