Question on a 265 express

Angry pirate

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
I’m looking hard at a 2001 265 express but it’s about a 14 hour drive for me. If I buy it I will be using it on the Great Lakes I’m typically running 4 to 5 guys with half to a full tank of gas. The boat I’m looking at has twin 200 fourstroke yamhas I’m a little comserned that it might be slightly under powered. Wondering if anyone has this set up that can chime in on what I should expect top end and hole shot. Thanks

Fishtales

Reaction score
Max rating was 500 hp on the hull but 2 strokes (less weight) were in play then. I had F225s four strokes on a 282 sailfish. I've never owned a 265. That being said 400 HP should be fine on that hull. I wouldn't worry about it, but that isn't that important to me. If hole shot and top end is important for you maybe keep looking. It probably is on the edge a bit.

Angry pirate

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
Max rating was 500 hp on the hull but 2 strokes (less weight) were in play then. I had F225s four strokes on a 282 sailfish. I've never owned a 265. That being said 400 HP should be fine on that hull. I wouldn't worry about it, but that isn't that important to me. If hole shot and top end is important for you maybe keep looking. It probably is on the edge a bit.
Top end is not that important but I don’t want to be in 3 foot head sea and have trouble getting her out of the hole.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Many of these early boats came with 200 HPDIs and I have not heard anyone on here complain about woefully insufficient power.
I'm guessing that 2001 boat was repowered with 4 strokes. What year are they? Are they 6 cylinder?

I'm pretty sure they went to 4 strokes in 2003 along with a change to the dead rise of the hull.
They made the hull flatter at the transom. Some people suggest it was to accommodate the weight of four strokes...some think it was to steady the ride when drifting or anchored....I have absolutely no problem with the ride.
I have heard here and elsewhere that repowering the older hulls with 6 cylinder four strokes can cause the scuppers to be underwater with a full load.

I have a 2000 with original 225 2strokes. This boat eats up three footers and spits them out.
I can't imagine 200s would be bad since I never use all the power of these 225s. Unfortunately these old OX66s only get me 1 mpg at 30mph @4000rpm. It'll get to 40mph but the fuel burn just ain't worth it.
I am working towards repowering with 4 stroke/4 cylinder Suzuki DF200APs which won't add too much weight.

The 265x holds 250 gallons (Main 130 and Aux 120). I have fished the canyons with full tanks, 4 guys, 200 pounds of ice, too much tackle and too many rods and too much bait..

SeaVee

Reaction score
I have the 200 HPDI’s on my 265. Perfect fit. I do hear those F200’s are a little weak, but I suspect you’ll be fine. Love the friggin ‘ boat. It is a beast once you figure it out.
Good luck!

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Are the F200s the newer model or are they the first generation 3.3L f200's? I assume since the boat is an 01 and yamaha did not make the v6 4 strokes until 02, that the boat has been re-powered. If that is the case and the engines are the newer generation f200's you should be fine. I saw some performance numbers posted a while back and they looked like pretty good.

Angry pirate

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
The broker did not seem to know much go figure. But they are the older v6 f200s.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I don't think you need to worry. Personally I think it is good that the hull isn't maxed out.

Angry pirate

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
It’s actually listed here on this site on the for sale thread page 5 2001 265 express.

Angry pirate

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
What consernes me most is hole shot being used in freshwater the boat will sit lower in the water since salt water is more boyent which slows these boats down. It’s not like I can test drive it up here when it’s way down there lol.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I don't think you'll have a problem with power but...
Those motors weigh over 600 pounds each compared to the <500 pound 2 strokes the boat came with.
I'm surprised they repowered with F200s when F225s and F250s are near the same weight. There was also the exhaust corrosion problem to worry about with early Yamaha 4 strokes.
To me, that $52K price seems steep for "old but not too old" four strokes. At that price your are stuck with those motors for a while.
There is one in Michigan on boat trader with 250 OX66s. That'll rip your teeth out with hole shot!

PrinceofThieves

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Some food for thought....

You will be fine with the F200's. The F225's that the later models were powered with in reality tested to something like +/- 209hp, but are labeled 225's. As the actual rating falls within 10%, manufacturers are ok to label like that. Torque was similar with 200 and 225, i believe. Somebody please correct me if i'm way off on the aforementioned points, memory is a bit fuzzy, but that's what i remember from a discussion with a Yamaha tech some time back. I would not be concerned with the engines, if they work properly. What i would be looking at is a) The scupper height on the transom, as they typically needed to be raised on 2000 and 2001's when repowering with heavier 4 strokes (several threads about this on this site). b) That price is high. Yes, some newer electronics were slapped on there, but that is all i see from the posting. My 05' 265 (w/ F225's - 500hrs), newer electronics and very clean, was purchased 2 years for 52K. I personally do not like how that electronics install was done (eye sore, sorry!) and that open array radar is very questionable up there. That thing must weigh btwn 60-70lb and I'm pretty sure that Grady did not give their blessing on life rafts (comparable weight) being mounted up there, without significant reinforcement. c) Last but probably most important, moisture in the hull! Probably the word that none of us like to hear as we all love these boats so much, but... I went through four 265's before finding an acceptably wet one and paid for survey on 2 of them! If nothing else, I paid for an elementary education and I learned what to listen for when sounding and saved myself some time and money.

I dont mean to come off as discouraging as i probably have, but I am brutally honest when it comes to this stuff (probably not hard to guess why!). My 2 cents - Looks like a nice boat and that it was cared for! Get that price down, confirm the scupper heights and if those things pass the sanity check, see if you can't get a surveyor up there to go out and just sound the hull before you even make the mission out there (and I would advise this to anyone, regardless of make or model, if the boat was located so far away).