radar 36 vrs 48

rus dunbar

Reaction score
I have on order a 307 Grady White Freedom with a hard top. Garmin 5212, plus garmin auto pilot and depth. I plan on a garmin HD radar. I don't know if I should go for the 48 mile or the 36 mile. The 48 is $800.00 more. Is it worth it. The hard top is less than 10 ft off the water. Would the 48 pick up closer targets better than the 36? Does any one have any suggestions. Will use boat in the Fort Pierce area of Fl. plus a few hops to the islands. Rus

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
forget distance. unless you're looking for mountainous coasts, you're good for about 6 or so miles.

that said, the 24 has a beamwidth of 3.6 degrees and the 18 is 5.0. narrower beamwidth is increased target distinction.

considering your total package, the extra $ are worth it.

good luck, ron

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd say it depends. What are you using it for? If for offshore or hard core fishing get the better one. For coastal use (<20 mi) and not hard fishing the lesser is fine. My 2 pennies.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It depends on what you're trying to see. Either range is well past the Earth's curvature, the narrower beam is better to pick up small targets far away (diving birds). If all you want to pick up are boats and markers, save the $800. Or better yet put the $800 towards satellite weather.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The range is a marketing point. It is easier for folks to equate with higher cost. The real benefits as you increase price are power, beam width, and sometimes features. Wider arrays give lower beamwidth which leads to better separation of targets. Think flood light vs spotlight. More power gives better range but given geometry, the advantage lies in targets higher in the sky such as wx and birds.