Radar Arch on an Overnighter

timo14

Reaction score
Hello,
I have not posted in a while... busy with work and keeping my kids out of trouble.
I'm thinking of putting a radar arch on my boat. It's an 1986 204c. I want it for all the usual reasons... get the fishing rods up off the deck, mounting lights, etc... However i also want to have a lug on it for water skiing, wakeboarding, etc... Obviously this will add a lot of stress to the arch and attachment points. Just wondering if anyone here has done this on a similar boat, how and where they attached to the boat, how its worked out for you, and anything you would change given the opportunity. And of course, any pictures would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Tim

Mleslie347

Reaction score
I added an arch to my '91 Overnighter several years ago. Went with a semi-custom arch from Fish-on Sports out of MI. Able to install myself (with a second pair of hands to assist at times). Arch supports thru-bolted to the sides of the cockpit and came with backing plates.

https://www.fishonsports.com/fiar.html

Very well-built and solid, and next to my autopilot, was the best $$ I ever spent on that boat, but have to admit I never used it to tow skiers/tubes. Though if you beefed up the mounting bolts and backing plates, suspect it would be able to handle that as well. I see they now make a heavier duty version than the original "uni-arch" that I installed, which might offer even better support for that kind of thing.

Have since sold that boat, but here's a link to some pics: https://photos.app.goo.gl/34SpTCrzNG3jNYvB6

Hope that helps.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I like that arch for getting antennas and rods up, a handhold when moving forward and the best yet it folds down!
Nice!
If you don’t mind what does that cost?
Mike

Mleslie347

Reaction score
I like that arch for getting antennas and rods up, a handhold when moving forward and the best yet it folds down!
Nice!
If you don’t mind what does that cost?
Mike

Depends a little on if you get the "base" arch or one of their fishing packages that come with additional rod holders, radar pads, spreader light brackets, net holders, etc., but anywhere from $800 to $1,200 shipped. The Fish-on-Sports link in my post above should give all of their arch price and package options.

The ability to fold it for travel was great. I had to make a cradle for it that spanned my gunnels so it wouldn't bounce around or chip the gelcoat in the cockpit (otherwise part of it rested on the corner of the fish box lids when folded), but easy enough to do with some spare lumber. Very nice for getting it in the pole barn for winter storage and to save some wind resistance while towing long distances.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I trailer my Overnighter and keep it in the carport below. The folding arch would work well for me.
Rod holders, spreader lights and antenna mount is what I’d want. Radar is overkill for my use.
It’d be nice to fit that into the carport.B9EF6814-B2E9-4BF9-9D7F-9DB22BF6E38D.jpeg

kabell

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I added an arch to my '91 Overnighter several years ago. Went with a semi-custom arch from Fish-on Sports out of MI. Able to install myself (with a second pair of hands to assist at times). Arch supports thru-bolted to the sides of the cockpit and came with backing plates.

https://www.fishonsports.com/fiar.html

Very well-built and solid, and next to my autopilot, was the best $$ I ever spent on that boat, but have to admit I never used it to tow skiers/tubes. Though if you beefed up the mounting bolts and backing plates, suspect it would be able to handle that as well. I see they now make a heavier duty version than the original "uni-arch" that I installed, which might offer even better support for that kind of thing.

Have since sold that boat, but here's a link to some pics: https://photos.app.goo.gl/34SpTCrzNG3jNYvB6

Hope that helps.
if you don't mind me asking which one do you have it looks great!

Fishtales

Reaction score
sounds doable for all except water sports. I doubt there would be sufficient holding power unless well mounted (backing plates and thru bolts to start).