radar cable routing

no problem

Reaction score
I am mounting a 4kw raydome on my 1992 factory hardtop. I have 2 rl70crc's flush mounted in the box directly behind my steering wheel. If i drop the cable into the radio box, how can i get a signal to the other electronics box? the pipework seems too small to drill the atleast 5/8" hole to try to fish the cable down. How is everyone elses set up. I dont want to be the only guy with radar cable zip tied to my hardtop legs. I will if i have to but theres got to be a better way.

Thanks,
Jim

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
No, unfortunately they didn't get the pipe until later. The stock route is through the hardtop frame all the way down to the mount behind the helm seat.

I fabbed up a 1 1/2" aluminum pipe from the overhead electronics box to the box in front of the wheel.

no problem

Reaction score
Ahh yes a separate pipe, that would have been nice. I actually fished a gps cable through that maze years ago and thought i should have won a prize. I knew you guys could help. Thanks and keep the those ideas coming. For now I will investigate having a pipe fabricated.
Thanks,
Jim

freddy063

Reaction score
I've seen people use liquid tight flex electric conduct, it gray and comes in different sizes to accommodate what ever you have to run through it. Routed is fairly easy from the top box to the bottom box, just have to see where is not going to look to bad. Just an idea.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The factory setup as Grog wrote is down the starboard forward hardtop leg then along the cabin lower window line.

You will probably have to remove the connector then reinstall, or cut the cable then splice it, check with radar manufacturer.

Alternately, you can make up a pipe extending down from the hardtop box to the bridge console, as the newer models have.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have an old R11XX and the cable end fit through the 1 1/2" pipe. Sealtite will work but it's UGLY.

no problem

Reaction score
I just had a custom 2" rigging tube fabricated and installed this morning from the radio box to the dash. $175 plus gratuity. money well spent. thanks for all the input.

no problem

Reaction score
I took my boat to them on my trailer. Total fabrication and installation time was 1hr 10 min. I will now pull all new wires and tidy the wiring up. Only thing is it makes the rest of my metalwork look old. :wink:

greenhabah

Reaction score
Can you post a pic? (I never have but have seen some instructions)

I can't picture a place to put it without it being in the way or staring me in the face the whole time.

no problem

Reaction score
I will work on getting some pictures posted, for placement i sat behind the wheel and placed it in the line of sight of my front hardtop leg so my view while under way is basically the same as before. I started at the grady dealer for design ideas, my fabricator used to make them for the dealer. He said they didn't all have rigging tubes from the factory until a few years ago. it exits the right side of the radio box, 90degree down and enters the top of the right forward corner of electronics box. it was crucial to be present to approve final placement.