Radar

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm thinking about putting a Furuno 1623 radar on my Adventure with a hardtop. I only go offshore 5 to 10 miles but there are a lot of buoys marking artificial reefs where I go and a lot of other boats. I picked this unit due to price and the admiral will not authorize additional funds. Any of you all have this unit? what are your thoughts on this one or perhaps another unit at a similar price.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Im not too familar with this unit but I have a Furuno CP/Radar that im very pleased with.From everything I've read and through experience you cant go wrong with a Furuno Radar and they do make units that are reasonably priced.

'05 300 Marlin w/F250's

Finatic

Reaction score
I had the Furuno 1621 Mark II on my 222 and it was an overall good unit. The 1623 is the newer version of the 1621. I was able to pick up bouys, boats, and occasional rain storm. I was pleased with unit for what I needed. On my Gulfstream, I installed the Furunon 1715 and this is definately a better unit. It's a 24 mile vs 16 mile, it has more power and I believe that it produces a stronger return signal. I think the cost difference between the 1623 and 1715 is about $300. Either way the Furuno units are easy to install and operate.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had the 1622 on my last boat. (26') Guessing thats just an earlier version of the one your considering. I installed it myself and loved it because it even showed the small buoys attached to crab/ killie pots. It was called a small boat radar but was perfect for what I did.

loral123

Reaction score
I have a JRC 1500. So simple and perfect for buoys. Price is great as well. Not for bird finding at 10 miles, but the easiest I have ever seen. Nothing ever wrong with Furuno either.