Radio Placement on Adventure 208

SC Adventure 208

Reaction score
I have a 1995 208 and would like to add a radio. There is not enough room in the box over the dash which already houses a a VHF radio (think I ought to keep that one) There is a fish finder over the door to below. O don't think I want to mount it on the box over the steering wheel as this will obstruct my view. I was thinking of either a vertical mount to the right of the captain's chair or perhaps inside the cabin and just use a remote . Anyone with the same experience come up with a solution? Where'd you put the speakers? I was just thinking about in the knee board on either side of the cabin door.

Thanks

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you don't need a CD player, then look at a black box unit. Fusion, JBL, etc... all make them. The guts can be mounted anywhere, and a control unit is mounted on the dash.

I have the JBL unit, with an iPod cord hookup in my glovebox. I can plug the iPod or Blackberry in and listen to music all day, or better yet, use Pandora for commercial free music.

westar

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Tournament 275
I mounted the stereo under the electronics box in the cabin. The speakers are mounted down by my feet (facing the bulkhead). Sounds great.

SC Adventure 208

Reaction score
Thanks. Didn't know if I'd like having a radio where I couldn't see it. The unit I have has a remote so that might work.

SC Adventure 208

Reaction score
I was able to fit my radio in the glove box next to the VHF radio and speakers by my feet facing the bulkhead. YOu're right...sounds great there. Hardest part was getting the speaker wires from the box to the speaker.

westar

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Tournament 275
I have seen them flush mounted facing forward just below the back seats. Easy to install because of the access hatches but I didnt put them there because of moisture (in the bilge area) and because when running I figured I would almost certainly not be able to hear them. I am very pleased with the sound quality where they are mounted now (near my feet and admirals feet). However be aware if you install them where I did you might have to have a spacer for the speaker on the starboard side. The depth of the speaker was too great (without drilling a hole in the back of the starboard fish box). Make sense? It is a bit difficult to explain. The guy who installed my speakers fabricated a spacer out of star board and it looks great.

westar

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Tournament 275
SC Adventure 208 said:
Thanks. Didn't know if I'd like having a radio where I couldn't see it. The unit I have has a remote so that might work.

I have a remote and can point the remote at the port side window inside the cabin...signal bounces and the radio responds. My stereo has a aux jack on the face and I just run an aux cord to my iPhone in a dry bag in the electronics box so really I only use the remote for volume control.

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
westar said:
I have seen them flush mounted facing forward just below the back seats. Easy to install because of the access hatches but I didnt put them there because of moisture (in the bilge area) and because when running I figured I would almost certainly not be able to hear them. I am very pleased with the sound quality where they are mounted now (near my feet and admirals feet). However be aware if you install them where I did you might have to have a spacer for the speaker on the starboard side. The depth of the speaker was too great (without drilling a hole in the back of the starboard fish box). Make sense? It is a bit difficult to explain. The guy who installed my speakers fabricated a spacer out of star board and it looks great.

It does make sense. I was thinking of installing in the front and the rear. For me and the Admiral who normally rides in the back, but my HPDI is a little loud so I don't know if you could hear them or not.

westar

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Tournament 275
Grady_Crazy said:
westar said:

It does make sense. I was thinking of installing in the front and the rear. For me and the Admiral who normally rides in the back, but my HPDI is a little loud so I don't know if you could hear them or not.

The admiral and/or kids generally sit back there too...they say when we are in a no wake zone they can hear the music fine. When we are up on plane, if I crank it they can hear it a little. I've got a 150 hp Salt Water Series II - 2 smoke engine. It's pretty loud (but I love the engine). Having 4 speakers would sound great. Good luck!