rain water

cutnout

Reaction score
This is my first post. I own a 33 express. The boat stays in the water at my dock. When it rains hard I get about 6 to 8 gallons below the rear bedding. I have been told that the rain comes in thru the anchor locker. the bilge pump is located a few degrees off center so I remove the water with a wetvvac. Any suggestions??? cutnout aka Charlie

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i assume you are you talking in the bilge. make sure the float switch is working properly. as far as getting it out, on my gulfstream, each time i went out i would start in a bow up attitude and manually run the stern bilge to get rid of the water that accumulates below the float line. this would be a lot easier than a wet vac.

you could always add a little gasketing around the locker to reduce the inflow. ron

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
There are number of posts and topic discussions about the water accumulation in the center bilge area of the bigger boats. I always turn on both pumps when I am throttleing up (slowly) to allow the bilge pumps to run out the water from the center bilge and any that gets to the aft bilge. From time to time I hand sponge or hand pump out water from center bilge, but it is just one of those things that you learn to live with.

cutnout

Reaction score
rainwater

Float switch works fine. Most of the water is in the bilge under the first cushion midships. Its really raining here tonite so I should have at least 8 gallons. I need to get it out fairly quick as it is the seed for mildew growth here in Florida. Does anyone know if the 36 reacts to rain as does my 33?
cutnout aka Charlie

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
catnout, you should really try to find out where the water comes from, i had a 330 and never, i mean never had water there, i know this cause i had to go there every time i had to open the seacock before i leave the dock.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
you might want to check to see if a limber hole is plugged. maybe it's not a clear path back to the stern.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Anchor lockers often allow water into bilges, adding a good weather stripping should eliminate that. also, how old are your indeck circular hatches, do you open them often, if they are opened on a regular basis, the gaskets should be replaced yearly, if not, every few years, the gasket will crack and allow water in over time, especially if opened up a bit. Also, do you have drink holders in the transom, make sure they are plumbed, and that they are not leaking in there. Check those areas first, if not start from the bow, with a guy washing hard and one guy near the pump and wash until you see water coming to the area where it presently sits, this will narrow down the area where it might be coming from, might also allow you to track it.