Raw water wash down and fresh water tank issues, need help

bc282

Reaction score
June was the first trip of the season and things looked good.
I knew the batteries might need charging since i told my dad to switch them off and he didn't and they after sitting for the winter trickle discharged themselves--but an overnite charge got them back up.

Since the boat ('02 282 Sailfish) sits on a trailer there wasn't a chance to test all systems. But on day one of fishing the raw water wash down didn't work. Tested hose (no blocks), the pump makes noise like it's working, but no pressure. I hear it might be the pressure switch on the pump. Is the switch common and an easy fix? Could the pump need a new impeller (i do not get any flow at all but at end of last season had good pressure)? Should i just get a whole new pump as the set up is now over 7 years old?

Also, my fresh water tank seems to have a leak. I fill the tank up (about 20-30 gal) and after about 2 hours i have no water. Also notice that my mid bilge pump is pumping out clear water when i know the bilge should be dry.

anyone know how the fresh water lines run to help isolate this leak?

having no fresh water sucked, having no raw water washdown and having to use a small bucket really sucked! :x

thx in advance guys (i'm 1000 miles from my boat so i try to get prepared as much as i can when i get time to fish and prepped to fix stuff on the boat)

Stonewall

Reaction score
Call Grady White Customer Service tomorrow AM. They will send you the schematics for Fresh Water and Raw Water systems.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Are you sure you opened the SW washdown ball valve?

Take up the cushions and floor under the below berth, the FW tank is right there to see, the FW takeoff comes off the side bottom near the rear, if it's like mine.

You should see the leak right away at that rate.

bhemi

Reaction score
Fresh Water Leak

Did you drain the fresh water tank before leaving it for the winter? Also, I'm assuming you have a hot water tank and when my fresh water system was leaking into the bilge the culprit was the cold water intake into hot water tank was leaking at the hose. Everything is on the same pressure system so even if the tank is not being used it will still leak.

mhff34

Reaction score
In your manual their is the freshwater tubing layout. If you don't have one maybe you could go online and make a copy

bc282

Reaction score
thanks guys for the input and recommendations.
I'm not near the boat and the manual but did find on Grady's website the schematic for the fresh water system which will help trouble shoot the leak(s) in a weeks time.

the boat sits on trailer on vancouver island (temperate climate) and i did leave the fresh water tank filled over the winter (my bad) but usually serious freezing doesn't happen on the island but this past winter was rather unusually snowy and cold. Hopefully not too bad.

bhemi

Reaction score
I think it froze

I live in Vancouver and keep my Marlin in a boat house with a heater. given the winter we just had I bet you fresh water system froze solid. I would open up the access and fill it with water and some kind of die like food colouring. Any joint that can't expand without breaking will be broken.

My dad used to have a water business in the central island and every five or six years would make a fortune replacing the pipes of people who thought Vancouver Island was too mild to freeze.

markb8608

Reaction score
fresh water tank t-ournament

Hi
Not sure how much difference there is.I removed and inspected my fresh tank on my tournament without too much trouble. It has two mounting/holding brackets on either side. I wanted to check it and make sure that the plastic /rubber (3/8 or 5/16) tube going up to faucet and shower had not split from freezing. I also hooked up my air compressor to the faucet and pressurised the lines and tank to check for leaks.
Mark