Raymarine

Sea Shift

Reaction score
Took this off of another board and just shipped mine today. We will see what happens. After months of issues hopefully this does it.:

Raymarine, now under FLIR`s ownership has recognized the on going problem with thier DSM300 series module loosing connection with the display and setting alarms. They have agreed to take care of the problem and replace the modules that were built in Mexico.
This has been and ongoing problem that Raymarine said was caused by voltage drops, fluctuations etc....If anyone has experienced this you know how frustrating it can be.
I contacted Raymarine today and was told to ship my unit back for replacement. Contact e-mail rm-usrepair@flir.com

Below is part of a letter by Tom Surran from Raymarine;

"My name is Tom Surran and I am the Managing Director/General Manager for Raymarine Worldwide. I have spoken with our WW Service Director and I understand that you and he will be meeting in Miami to solve your issue. I want you, and all other DSM300 owners, to know that we are committed to customer satisfaction.

After FLIR acquired Raymarine in 2010, we learned that the DSM300 had some issues in the field that we needed to address. The product can be equated to an exotic sports car with unparalleled performance in its class but problematic reliability. We knew that this was inconsistent with FLIR’s brand and reputation and went to work on it right away.

One issue that had already been addressed was the manufacturing quality. That was accomplished by moving the production from a contract manufacturer in Mexico to a well-known major manufacturer in Eastern Europe that has demonstrated superior work. As a result, we will be pleased to replace any unit made in Mexico with one built by the new manufacturer at no cost.

The first issue we dealt with post-acquisition was to improve the robustness of the software. The initial design was highly intolerant of any issues on the network. We initiated a project to address this and the updated software we made available four months later offers much better resilience to network issues. This is why it is important for all DSM300 owners to make sure their unit is updated with the latest software.

Correcting these issues allowed us to see there was a problem with the power cable. The original design’s pin connectors could become misaligned over time through vibration causing interment power connections. We designed a new power cable that is now utilized on all of our sonar units that eliminates this problem. We are willing to provide one of these cables to any DSM300 owner for free "

Sea Shift

Reaction score
Sent mine in and got it back yesterday no questions asked! Installed today and it worked flawlessly. Nice job FLIR!

awc4kds

Reaction score
Sea Shift,

Thank you for sharing your Raymarine experience - it was very helpful. Did Raymarine send you a new unit or somehow repair your old unit? I've experienced various problems with my DSM 300 (manuf in Mexico) and returned it this week. I am hoping for a quick resolution. Thanks again!

Sea Shift

Reaction score
I was sent a new in the box unit! Took about a week and a half. :wow

Fishtales

Reaction score
Pulled mine today and will send back. Mexico unit as well. Hopefully this fixes the intermittent issues I have... Thanks for sharing.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I too was sent a new unit in box with new cables.
I have to say, I'm impressed. My system was 7 years old and they stepped up and replaced the unit and cables.
I can't wait to get it installed. Took a little less than two weeks. Nice job Raymarine / FLIR.
Next time I'm up for a system upgrade or replacement you will get the business.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Installed and works beautifully. Nice job Raymarine/FLIR.

Wally World

Reaction score
Going to check my today at the boat. I have been having some issues with my sounder losing the bottom and resetting allot. I also do not get the correct temp read. Could this also be a part of it? What is the best way to check if it is a DSM300?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Check the back of the unit. If it says Made In Mexico, it will be replaced.

DWhite63

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Can anybody tell me where Grady would have mounted the DSM300 in a 2007 Gulfstream?

Fishtales

Reaction score
It would have been done by a dealer or an electronics installer they hired. Could be just about anywhere. I'd start by looking behind the displays or in that area. My guess is it is near the head unit somewhere.
BTW that post of mine was back in 2013. Never had an issue with the system once I swapped out the DSM.