Realistic hull draft

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
So, Grady lists the 2004 Islander as having a hull draft of 17"
Now, you more experienced people, what is a realistic minimum depth this boat can float in if it is loaded down?

I was talking about something to a friend and some chucklehead chimed in that I was full of it because no way the boat would float in 17". I explained that very well might not take in account the weight of things like gas and engines, I am just going on the brochure.

So, what is a realistic depth I can expect this thing to float in with no issues?

Russ

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'd say that's pretty realistic. Adding a typical amount of weight won't make a huge difference in draft, either. Not as much as what one might think, anyways. Just keep in mind that "floating" does not mean "operating".

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I'd say that's pretty realistic. Adding a typical amount of weight won't make a huge difference in draft, either. Not as much as what one might think, anyways. Just keep in mind that "floating" does not mean "operating".

Thanks, Dennis. I just did not want to speak out of turn without asking. I went by the brochure and this guy was all "I seriously doubt that...the boat would not even have the engines in the water..." I think he was fos.. lol.. but, before I correct someone, I like to at least ask experienced folks ;)

R

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I would tell him "You're right. The engines would NOT be in the water with them tilted up" :)

For what it's worth, most v-hull/planing type hulls in the 20'-30' category are ALL in the upper teen to low 20-inch range. That is very normal. It's largely dependent on beam. The wider the beam is, the deeper the draft has to be to maintain a "deep-V".

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Cool beans, thanks Dennnis. I think he was just wanting to be mr knowitall heh...

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have found a good rule of thumb is pull a string across the transom at the bottom of the stern deck drain thru-hulls and measure from the string down to the keel. Most boats float with the water near the bottom of those drains.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have found a good rule of thumb is pull a string across the transom at the bottom of the stern deck drain thru-hulls and measure from the string down to the keel. Most boats float with the water near the bottom of those drains.

Deepest part of Islander is NOT the stern. It’s the deep section of the keel, about under the aft section of the cabin sole. About six inches deeper than the transom. That’s with twin F150s, so bigger engines might make some difference, but having an auxiliary fuel tank, as Russ does, brings weight forward as well.

To answer the original question, 18+ inches, loaded.

Reactions: RussGW270

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thanks Brian ;) Just dotting my "I"'s and crossing the "T"'s.

So close....top should ship any day. Not going to bother them till after next week, if I do not hear anything. That would be about 3-4 weeks since the last time.. heh.

We have the lift etc and tools all set up and ready to go. When I spoke with WMW, Jerry, he made it sound like the actual hard top was installed and ready to drop onto the boat when it gets here. They are installing the 5-rocket launcher and then taking it off so it fits in the crate, so that says to me that most the hard work is done.....just need to connect the power and then seal and bolt it down.

Looking forward to June 27th/28th. We will take it to Medina Lake to run water through it all once it is installed.

R