Rebuild or buy a new trailer

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Hey Yall:
I have a 16 foot Carolina Skiff with a 25 hp Yammy 4 stroke on it. I am doing some early season work on the trailer. It is a single axle galvanized South Sport Trailer with leaf springs. Both sets of springs are now fallen apart and the wheel bearings are in need of replacing. I have not inspected the axle yet. This is just what I know from the starting point.

Assuming the axle is fine, how difficult is it really to hang new springs on it? It seems a few U bolts and clamps would do the trick here. if the axle is shot at what point do I consider finding a new or new used trailer? I have not priced the springs out at all but really how expensive can they be? Thanks

SwampGrizz

Reaction score
SmokeyMountain,
This is a timely thread for me. I am facing the same thing with my trailer for my johnboat (my little Grady), and I will be following the comments. I have decided that it will be cheaper to rebuild it rather than purchase another one. I think my axle is OK, but will have to replace all the u-bolts, brackets, etc. Salt water really does a number on them. I'm not sure about the hubs, though. I'm going to replace the bearings, get new bearing buddies, and see what happens.

Good luck with your decision.

SwampGrizz

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here's my "other" boat:

j16r.jpg

I replaced the springs and fenders 3 years ago and the springs need to be replaced again pretty soon. Saltwater really eats them up even if you rinse them well.

As long as your trailer is cosmetically pleasing to you, it always makes sense to replace the parts than to buy a new one. That's the advantage of the less expensive bolt together trailers over custom welded jobs.

The hardest part of replacing the leaf springs is taking the old ones off. I spray the bolts with corrosion X the day before and usually end up breaking them off anyway. Use new stainless U-bolts and other hardware when you replace the springs.

I had a 12 year old Easy Loader trailer on another boat that logged over 75,000 miles on the road. The springs and axles were replaced 3 times. It's an easy job with 2 guys and standard hand tools. The last axle was the torsion type, which eliminates the leaf springs. I'll probably go with a torsion axle for the Carolina Skiff the next time. They are much better for saltwater.

seasick

Reaction score
One of the big problems with galvanized trailers is that the structural members rot form the inside out and it is very difficult to know until the rot goes all the way through. At a minimum, tap all low spots where water might settle and listen for a solid noise. If dull, that member may be compromised.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Assuming the axle is fine, two new hubs will run you $100 or so, and a pair of springs will be $75.

I'd plan on using the angle grinder and cut the old springs off.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Not long after I asked this question I started poking around on the web and found a few places that for about $300 I can replace all.the running gear. Thanks for the tips especially the tip on how galvanized trailers corrode from the inside out. This will be my May project.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
seasick said:
One of the big problems with galvanized trailers is that the structural members rot form the inside out and it is very difficult to know until the rot goes all the way through. At a minimum, tap all low spots where water might settle and listen for a solid noise. If dull, that member may be compromised.

This was the tongue of my Magic Tilt trailer that was under my 180...had no idea it had rusted from the inside out until it started to bend while I was driving down the highway. It's a miracle it didn't end up in a ditch.

IMG-20110723-00006 by parthery, on Flickr