Recomdations for Hand Held VHF

dduflo

Reaction score
I going to purchase a waterproof hand held VHF. Looking for one that can be recharged aboard the boat in a 12 volt outlet, as I do not have a generator. Quality is very important. I have a fixed mount but want one in the event I go in the water. Any suggestions on make, model and place to purchase are welcome.
Thank you

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would recommend a Standard Horizon handheld that also has a built-in GPS. Not sure of any model numbers but they make several models with GPS. For what it's worth I have a HX270S (no GPS) that I've had for a number of years. Luckily I've never needed it but carry it in my bag when offshore.

I have a couple of fixed mount VHF radios from Standard Horizon and have been extremely happy with them.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I ended up with this one. Standard HX851 6W Floating Hand Held VHF with GPS.
BOE Marine had a special on them. I'd check him out whatever you decide.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I also have the previous model Standard Horizon HX850S and i am happy with it, i tested it a few times and has good range, i even threw it in the water to see if it really floats. The battery life is awesome, one charge before season and is good for the rest of my season plus.

bc282

Reaction score
ditto on the SH recommendation.
i too have the 850 "older" model. Great radio and top quality (product AND service!)
i'd have to check, but believe it has rechargeable battery that can be charged via 120v or 12v.
it also has an optional AAA battery tray which i keep along with AAA batteries in the ditch bag.
the 850 and 851 seem to have every option a boater could want in a handheld VHF including floating (without the aid of a float strap).

Salinity Now

Reaction score
I'll recommend the Icom series of handhelds, several different models with a wide range of prices too +/-$100 range, theyre waterproof, lithium battery lasts FOREVER!! (within reason ofcourse) very durable and easy to use. We use them on our ships which impressed me enough to buy one as a backup for personnel use.

dduflo

Reaction score
Thanks for the feed back. Purchased a Standard Horizon HX851 from thegpsstore.com for $214.