Refinishing Bulkheads

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My 1988 Grady Overnighter has the fake wood bulkheads over wood. I would really like to replace just for a more modern look as the bulkheads are OK structurally. While I would like to replace with starboard, that is too large a project for me at this point, not to mention being a true test of my shade tree skills. Wish somebody could come up with a kit from their patterns, but that is another subject.

What I an looking for is a better look at reasonable price and effort. I have come up with two options that i thought I would run by you guys.

Option 1 would be to paint the bulkheads over the plastic fake wood. Some type of surface prep - cleaning, sanding, etc. followed by paint. Do not know what type of paint, a special marine epoxy, maybe a plastic paint from a home improvement store, enamel, epoxy, etc. Not sure how this would work or look.

Option 2 is an idea i gave a try with mixed results. I think the issues were my fault in installation not in concept. My plan was to cover the bulkheads with a white vinyl like marine sign makers use. I bought some and tried to install but ended up with too many bubbles. It would have looked OK without the bubbles. Should have done it on a calmer day with more soapy water and more patience. I think somebody used to wrapping boats or cars could do it easily.

Has anybody tried either of these ideas before? Any ideas or suggestions?

Bob

kingfisher 77

Reaction score
Bob,
Just throwing it out there,Formica ! On my 77 the bulkheads were covered with viynl,and the results over time were a disaster.Water eventually did its thing within the plywood.So,I removed both panels and traced the pattern onto 3/4" marine plywood.After cutting,I glued up a formica with a color similiar to Starboard seafoam and trimmed it in.After that I sealed the laminate with West System and installed.It still looks great after approx.10 years.And it is very easy to clean!
Good luck,Chris