Removal of Batteries for Winter 272 98

steveg

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Code:
Just a quick question. I have a 272, 98 Sailfish with 0X 225 and shore power with a charger. I am greatly inclined to remove the batteries over the winter and unplug the boat. I have actually never left a battery on whatever boat that I have owned over the winter. Even with the charging, the cold weather, IMO, would be more detrimental than leaving them on board. Steve

Fishtales

Reaction score
It is standard practice at my marina as well as my local GW marina to disconnect the leads to all batteries and leave them on the boat.
Charge up via a standard charger in spring and check that the batteries are good and you are all set to go.

I have never removed the batteries from my boats >15 years and don't have a higher replacement rate than those that do.

FWIW. Located South of Boston MA.

tx

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The last few years, I left the battery's on the boat and would periodically run the charger. The boat was fully covered and it stayed pretty warm inside. I'd leave them on the boat but don't leave the charger on.

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
I have always left my batteries on the boat but I have solar battery maintainers with built in diodes hooked up , one to each battery. Never had an issue. Bought them at NAPA but I have seen them at Harbor Freight also for around $20.00 each. I seal the solar cell in a plastic zip lock bag to keep out the weather. So far my present solar cells are 5 years old

reelserious

Reaction score
All I ever do on both my boats is charge the batteries before storing the boat for the winter and disconnect the positive leads. Same as Fishtails....never saw a difference in battery life compared to others who do remove. One tip though is, either way, it is always a good idea to wire-tie each set of cables as you remove them.

seasick

Reaction score
reelserious said:
All I ever do on both my boats is charge the batteries before storing the boat for the winter and disconnect the positive leads. Same as Fishtails....never saw a difference in battery life compared to others who do remove. One tip though is, either way, it is always a good idea to wire-tie each set of cables as you remove them.