Removal of caulk around Engine Bracket (2004 Gil Bracket)

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I need to remove the original caulk around my 2004 Gil Engine Bracket and replace with new caulk. Any suggestions on the type of caulk to use?

Mariner

Reaction score
I recently had a marine shop remove mine and they used Sikaflex when replacing it. I previously used 3m 4200. Either will work.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
On raising my Yamaha 200 i4 the last two times used Sikaflex. Great product, stays a bit resilient but does a great job of sealing and adhesion. In my commercial fishing days used it exclusively for any sealing issues on the Troller. Salt water has no influence on its ability or longevity.

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Trapper, thanks. Do you remember the type or product number of the Sikaflex you used?

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ted, I used Sikaflex 291. Check the expiry date on the tube, difficult to use and not so affective if starting to dry out.

seasick

Reaction score
The secret to getting a good seal is to apply the sealant, install the bracket but don't tighten the bolts to max yet. Wait a while for the sealant to start to set and then tighten the mounting bolts to spec. Using that approach makes is less likely that you might squeeze out all of the sealant in spots. You will have to experiment a bit to determine how long to wait. That depends on the product, the temp and humidity. Note that the sealant under the two parts will cure slower than the material that oozes out.