Removed my hull graphics.

JeffN

Reaction score
This weekend I removed the stripes and logos on my hull. Not too terrible a job considering they have been on there for twenty eight years. Still have to do the stripes and logo on the cabin side but that should be easy now that I know the process. The old ones were showing their age and it is time to freshen things up a bit. That adhesive they used is pretty tenacious but once I figured out the process it went well, just time consuming. Hope fully next weekend the weather will cooperate and I can compound the hull.

JeffN

Reaction score
Sure - The graphics toward the stern, stripes and Grady logo were the hardest. My boat sits in a slip and the Starboard side faces the sun so those seemed to be baked on but both aft areas were tough. I tried to use a hair dryer to soften the glue but it did not proide enough heat. I borrowed a heat gun and heated the stripes and scraped the letters and stripe off with a plastic scraper. In the areas mentioned above the letters came off but left ALL the glue behind. As I worked towards the bow as I heated the stripe I was able to get strips up to maybe 14" long off along with most of the glue. So yesterday I was able to remove the stripes but today was left with getting the glue off. I tried Goof Off and it removed some but I could see it was not going to work well, I would need gallons of it. I tried a couple of different things and finally just tried straight gas. I wiped it on the glue liberally and let it sit a couple of minutes then had to scrape the glue off with the plastic scraper. Then wiped it with a gas soaked paper towell, yes wear gloves and NO sourse of ignition, that would get rid of the lions share of the glue. Today was nice for this as there was a good breeze. I had to change paper towels often as after a brief amount of use the towell would just relocate globs of glue. After that I thoroughly washed the boat with Dawn dish soap and water. Then I went over the hull and removed any remaining glue with the Goof Off and washed it again. I will say one thing I had a couple of black marks on the hull and the Goof Off took them right off. It also got all the small spots of glue off well. So the stipes are gone and now I need to compund the hull and get a calm day to put the new stripes and logo on. Usually I take care of the hull and then move "upstairs" and clean and wax from the rub rail up. I'll do the logos and the stripes on the cabin then.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
JeffN,
Thanks for the info.
My hull decals are in pretty good condition. The cabin sides are pretty dreary looking, primarily on the port side as it gets the direct sun in the slip.
Where did you get replacement decals, please?
I would like to replace the cabin side decals.
Brian

JeffN

Reaction score
Brian, I got my graphics from Grady. My boat has the "old" dark blue stripes and the new is a lighter shade. Grady no longer has the hull stripes in the dark blue. They did have the Grady - White logo in the dark blue along with the narrow stripes that go above and below the cabin side model logo. The Kingfish logos were not available but they did have the logo that says 25 Sailfish in my color so I ordered that. My dealer had some rolls dark blue hull stripe left overs on the shelf and they were happy to part with it. In my converstaions with Grady I think they had the graphics I needed available in a lighter blue - again not the Kingfish logo but everything else including the hull stripes. I went original color after I was able to source the hull stripes locally. Kingfish logos along with many others are available through vendors on Ebay, I may still go with the Kingfish logo from Ebay. Your boat is a lot newer than mine so I would give Grady a call, the prices from my local dealer were about the same as similar items from Ebay and the Grady ones were all the same size as original. For anyone with looking to replace with the old color I have not been able to find the dark hull stripes from anywhere aftermarket.

kingfisher 77

Reaction score
Jeff,
I was the proud owner of a 77 kingfish for twenty years.When I had the boat awlgripped in 99 I made stencils of the logo before I removed it.The decals came out perfect with a little editing at the sign shop.The hooks and font all original.Ironically,they never made it onto the boat !After painting I loved the custom look of no signage.Now my buddy owns the boat and we're considering applying them.But,if you're interested I have a friend whose a graphics guy( South Shore Graphix)who might be able to scan them and cut for you.
Let me know if you're interested and we'll figure out a way making it happen.
Best,Chris

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've considered replacing the stripes on my 180 a couple times....however at $150 for the striping, plus another $50 or so for the "180" medallions, I've passed.

Besides, I think it looks pretty good....

JeffN

Reaction score
Thanks Chris. I am still on the fence about using the Sailfish logo that I purchased from Grady or getting the Kingfish one. There is a gentleman on Ebay that has the kingfish decals for like $30, I am just not sure yet. Thanks for the kind offer I'll be in touch if I decide to go that route.

Parthery, At that price I probably would not replace either. I paid a LOT less than what you were quoted. I kind of like the look of no stripe but want to put the Grady logo on the aft sides first and see how it looks then. I will probably go with the stripe, I like the classic look. I just need a calm day to put them on and that has been a rare commidity here lately.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
I removed my worn and torn stripes before launch last season and although I bought replacement stripes to re-apply, I just left them off, because I like the look of my stripe-less Grady.

some pics here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13464

JeffN

Reaction score
I replaced the Grady - White graphic yesterday and in the end decided to replace reapply the stripes too. It looked pretty good without the stripe sand just the logo but I had the stripes and I kind of like the classic look. If I could not have sourced the stripes I would have gone with just the logo. Both the graphic and the stripes went on very easily, I was thinking it might be more of a job but in the end it was OK. At this point I have only put the aft sides portion of the stripes on. I still have to go from just aft of midship to the bow. I also have not done the graphics on the cabin yet but those should be easy. In the future I may awlgrip the hull and then I would be stripeless, until then I have that classic look. Old boat, old guy, new stripes :)

Len I like the look of yours with no stripe. I think it would look too busy with the name on the side and the stripes.
I also like the starboard transom panel. That is a project for next season for me. I have replaced mine once about ten years ago and used plywood with glass and it held up well but it is time for new. I'll check into the starboard. My boat is an I/O so I have a PVC gutter type channel (drip edge) mounted on the lower edge of cutout in the plywood, how would I attach that to the starboard? Any ideas. Could I glass a piece of wood onto the back of the panel and screw into that? Will the resin bond to the starboard? Did you have a bracket on that boat previously?

JeffN

Reaction score
The weather and work have not been cooperating of late. Weather has been teerible and work busy. Anyway I have all the stripes back on save for the hull stripe on the Stb. side from midships forward. The only hard part so far in appling the stripes has been up towards the bow where the hull begins to curve and the flare becomes pronounced. I did the port side yesterday but it was too windy to do the stb. side today. I think I will cut the stripe where I started to have problems yesterday and perhaps that will help. The graphics are back on the cabin sides. Man the Kingfish graphic on the stb. side was a bear to get off. They look good and were not hard to put on. The hull without stripes looks good and and I had think about replacing the stripes or not, but the cabin sides looked VERY odd without graphics. To my eye anyway. So if anyone is thinking about replacing any logos it is not a hard job.