Removing Bottom Paint - Options Afterward?

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The old owner used a non-fouling black paint. I don't need bottom paint, because she doesn't live in the water anymore. I understand that soda blasting can remove the non-fouling paint, but that the gelcoat will not be clean and white after removal. The old bottom paint looks like hell, all streaked with green running through it. What are my options? Was thinking about having the bottom repainted with fiberglass paint, and forgetting about the non fouling ablative paints. Any suggestions welcome.

bigk23surf

Reaction score
I had the same problem with mine. I had the bottom soda blasted and an epoxy put on where the paint was. The epoxy is white and harder than any bottom paint and will not wear off. I'm very happy with it. I had a guy in Ocean City do it for me and he did a great job. I talked to him about doing a fiberglass paint but the upkeep is worse with that and paint can bubble, plus it cost more. I got some pics but can figure out how to post them, (I figured it out, see below). I also launch out of Crisfield a lot, just got back from there.
boat2.jpg

Z4J

Reaction score
I trust to the yard, they are the Pros

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yep. LP paint over. Add a waterline stripe to match the shear stripe if you want to hide the paint line on the hull sides.