removing headliner on 89 sailfish

busterblue

Reaction score
The headliner in the cabin is off white fuzzy carpet and I can't stop the mildew. I want to remove it and paint the newly exposed areas with a high gloss paint. What am I getting into? Any better ideas or tips on proceeding?

Thanks

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you sleep in the cabin, cabin will not be so quiet.

3M makes a spray product that is good for fabric and supposed to prevent mildew, sold in the big name marine store, and others. I never used it, yet.

busterblue

Reaction score
I considered the noise issue but...

I realize I will be losing some sound dampening; but, when we sleep aboard the hatch, windows and entryway are almost always open anyways. The loudest of the " noise" is the lapping of water against the hull (and sometimes Dad's snoring when we are sharing a mooring :roll: )
I don't think the headliner has any effect on the dampening of waterline noise, and I've had 48 years getting used to dad's snoring.

Mildew, on the other hand, causes rather distressing allergic reactions in my son and I and that has prevented us from sleeping on the boat as often as we'd like.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
OK, I would say the glue used if it's like mine is very tenacious, all of it will have to be scrapped off.

The water lapping sound is what it is, but with cabin walls smooth and hard, I think the noise will get some amplification instead of deadening from the rug like liner. Just something to be prepared for.

Other members have done this, just have to wait for a reply - then ask about the sound level change.

You may be better served with a textured or dot vinyl roll material reapplied, I think the OEM surface even when painted will have a very unfinished commercial (Proline Lite style) look, if that's OK with you.

You will still get the mildew, just be easier to get off, either painted or vinyl. I get mildew even on glass and Formica covered wood, no hiding from it.

Windows and doors shut, keeping a incandescent light bulb on in the cabin will avoid mildew, as long as access to shore power is available.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Another member perhaps over at THT said he used an elastomeric truck bedliner application.

I'd be concerned with odor confined to the cabin in the heat of the sun.

busterblue

Reaction score
Bob, you make a good point about the potential "echoing" of the (lapping) sound. I was only considering the insulating value of theheadliner and not the sound absorbtion factor.

BobP said:
I'd be concerned with odor confined to the cabin in the heat of the sun.

After a long day /nite/day of fishing incredible as it seems the odor doesn't keep us up. :lol:

The truck liner application is probably too messy for me to deal with. Though maybe something similar to the stuff GW used in the head could be cut and fit and look good. It would have to be solid surface though. The stuff GW used seems rather porous; it has nooks and crannies.