Removing Outrigger Bases from Freedom 255 Hardtop

hoodpoint1

Reaction score
Just bought a slightly used 2011 Freedom 255 with a hardtop and had it shipped to Vancouver, British Columbia. Needless to say I'm very pleased. I have no need for the GW factory installed Taco GS 270 outrigger bases and have just removed them. There are 4 small bolt holes and a larger hole (for the rotating handle) through both the fibreglass top and the reinforcing plate. Does anyone have suggestions as to how to seal the hardtop ? I would like to sell the bases and the 15' silver/gold outriggers, and would appreciate suggestions as to value. I just discovered this site and really like the feeling of "community" and the depth of shared knowledge. Thank you.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
First of all, welcome to this web site and many congratulations on your new Grady.

The best closure of the openings would be epoxy filling with gelcoat finish - probably needing someone with the proper skill set. Assuming the reinforcing plate is not removable, then the bottom fill/finish could be made flush with the plate. This would be the best overall for strength and long-term watertight integrity of the hard-top, as well as appearance. But a bit of $$$.

Easier closure would be having aluminum plates cut to match the GS270 bases, with the four matching bolt holes. These would be suitably bedded (3M 4200) on the top, and then through-bolted. The large opening would be visible from the underside and could be left as is, or filled and finished. This approach would cost less but still be watertight and easy to do.

The Taco GS270 bases can be purchased for $750-800, and the 15-ft heavy-duty poles for about $350. Entire kits including the dual-rigging materials can be found for $1,330.

Shipping is costly due to the weight of the bases and the length of the poles, even when collapsed.

You might advertise locally, or on http://www.thehulltruth.com, but you will have to join ($$) to post a classified ad there.

Best wishes,
Brian

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
First of all welcome aboard. Now, as far as what you are doing, if it was me i would not remove the bases for two reasons. First, you have to spend a few bucks to make it waterproof and to make it look the way it was. Second, you bringing the value of your boat down by not having outriggers. By the time you spend the money to fix the hardtop and try to sell "used" outriggers you probably going to break even. If you don't want/need the outrigger poles just remove them and store them somewhere in your garage or basement, then lay down completely the bases and you hardly know they are up there. That is what i would do. Good luck with your new boat and your project.