Removing windshield and resealing

UpGrady

Reaction score
Been avoiding doing this job each spring as there have been more pressing jobs each year, but I think this is the year to pull off the windshield and reseal the base. Does anyone have any tips or warnings? It's an '86 Sailfish. Also poondering replacement of the front cabin windows as they are pretty faded and messy, but might wait on that one until I get rid of the monkey fur on the cabin next year.

albertstrunk

Reaction score
I have a 1987 242G (Offshore 24) with same issues. Apparently no one has any advice. Al

JeffN

Reaction score
Don't know about the windshield but a couple of years ago I took out all the cabin windows. The side windows I cleaned up, resealed, replaced the kitty wiskers stuff that the window slides in and tubing that covers the screws. On the fronts I powdercoated the frames, replaced the plexy with a darker shade, replaced the rubber seals, the screw cover stuff and reset the frames. Not too bad a job, not tricky in any way just a little time. It really tightened up the cabin. Please report back if you remove the windshield, I'm curious. If you decide to redo the windows before the monkey fur you would just need to remove the frame screws that go through the fiberglass into the wood backer inside the cabin and you would be good to go, the windows would not have to come back out (but you probably know that already).

UpGrady

Reaction score
So seriously nobody else has done this job?!? I'm the only one that is bothered by windshield leaks?!?

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I haven't done a 24 Offshore, but I did Tournament 22. WARNING, WARNING! Do not disassemble any part of the frame expecting to just slip the glass back in the channel and move on. It may not happen, and you end up with a big monkey cluster on your hands.

With that said, the frame of the T-22 is held to the console by several screws hidden under the plastic strip molding at the base of the frame. If you have enough muscle, you could remove the whole windshield, clean, apply sealer, and re-install. If not loosen the screws all around and shim it up, clean as best you can, apply sealer as best you can, remove shims and tighten down ... :sorry

UpGrady

Reaction score
Thanx for the warning and actually that brings up a very good point. I am not convinced that my leaks are actually related to the base seal, it might actually be the windshield joints that the water is running into first, so I viewed taking the joints apart as more critical than the base.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I would try auto windshield sealer before I'd disassemble 'em. I was replacing to forward panes, and it ended up costing me about $600 before it was back together correctly. I didn't have the benefit of much expertise or extra hands, and it went from 'yeah, that can't be too hard' to 'damn, do I really need this thing' in a big hurry. You might have no trouble at all ... :uhm