replace Horizon 600 Windlass

Mjdap

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Sailfish with a Horizon 600 Windlass. I am thinking of replacing with a new model, so my question is what have others purchased and was the operation improved, based on a newer model.

It seems that my existing windlass is very susceptible to a gear/clutch lockout when the anchor is raised a bit to snug. I realize a newer model may be just as susceptible, but that is why I ask

Thanks

Desperado

Reaction score
I replaced mine with a Lewmar Profish. I did have to upgrade the wiring from the batteries to the bow. The Profish offers a free fall. I did have to utilize starboard to mount it do to the defferent bolt patterns.

ahill

Reaction score
The clutch problem can be avoided by always cleating off the anchor rode (Never use the windlass for that)
Using an anchor chain tensioner to secure anchor in pulpit (Never use the windlass for that)
Always using engine power to relieve tension on anchor rode when retrieiving (Never use the windlass for that)
I have a Horizon 500 on my Sailfish and not knowing of all the above caveats locked up the windlass.
Fixed it and now have no problems.