Replaceing cabin entrance

TomEnMS

Reaction score
I've got some rot on my cabin entrance by the floor. The original (1979 240 Offshore) is plywood with what looks like formica. Should I go back the same, starboard or what?

Thanks,

Tommy

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Starboard can be slippery and does not have nonslip, I'd stick with what you have. A good fiberglass guy or DIY can do the job. Marine plywood is not that expensive and works the best. Stick with what you have.

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree with fishy, go for the marine plywood, laminate the crap out of it then finish it with paint, formica or whatever.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Are you talking bulkhead or floor?

If it's the bulkhead, roted wood cannot be restored. The bulkhead is birch plywood covered with formica both sides. It roted because water reached the base at the deck - it was probably not caulked properly at the factory.

You can remove the section and take it to a fabricator to use as a template either for 3/4 startboard or whatever you want.

If it's plywood, the end grain needs to be sealed with epoxy, then caulk the base well. Any holes or screws into the bulkehed need to be caulked also. Follow this plan, and it will never rot again.

Amigo

Reaction score
If it is the bulkhead (vertical) material it is probably 1/2 inch plywood covered both sides with laminate.

I found the exact same laminate at a cabinet maker shop. He had all kinds of samples to look at. A 4 foot X 8 foot piece of laminate cost me about $70. I had to use a powdered adhesive mixed with water to bond it to the plywood. The powdered adhesive, bought at ACE Hardware, was recommended by the cabinet maker for exterior applications.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The powdered adhesive is also more forgiving than contact cement, but I never saw anything effect contact cement besides strippers.

Amigo

Reaction score
I should have been more specific - the cabinet maker said that he was concerned by the heat generated by the sun weaking the adhesive. His recommendation was the powder mix for exterior applications. My application was the stearn bulkhead on and I/O. The stearn would receive more direct sun than the cabin bulkhead application.

Rickysa

Reaction score
Just finished doing mine for the same reason...did it a little different

Used marine ply (due to the waterproof glue) and sealed it with epoxy...faces and edges.

Once dried, used epoxy thicked with cabosil to adhere teak veneers and coated it with Bristol.

Turned out right nice :)

Rick

Odie

Reaction score
Did this same job in my 79 Overnighter. The floor rotted out from below - it appreaerd to never have been sealed below decks. I took marine PW, glassed it both sides then installed it c/ glass around all exposed edges. Followed that c/ marine grade carpet. While I was at it I put new seat posts c/ 1/4 innch aluminum backing plates on underside. Quite stable now. [/url]

TomEnMS

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. As usual, I found more rot as I started. I'll post pics when I finish. I'm leaning toward starboard for the vertical pieces.