Replacement Batteries 272 Sailfish

GradyChris

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
New to me boat but the Interstates I pulled out in the Fall need to be replaced (7 yrs old and rather not take a chance)
Out came two Group 24 Starting batteries and 1 Group 27 Deep Cycle.
Is this the standard setup for this boat? It is under wrap right now so can't verify if there is enough space to add bigger batteries in the locker.

1998 272 Sailfish...twin Yamaha 2 strokes. Radar, stereo, VHF, no generator or A/C

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Diagram is for 1998 272. You can get free pdf of owners manual at gradywhite.com
Looks like the grp24s are starting batteries and the grp27 DC is the Accessories(house).
The house is charged from the Aux charging wires from both Yamahas.
Great setup. Great to be able to fit a grp27 for house too. I would stick with it.

1553284442801.png

Reactions: GradyChris

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd install exactly what you took out assuming they fit.

GradyChris

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Diagram is for 1998 272. You can get free pdf of owners manual at gradywhite.com
Looks like the grp24s are starting batteries and the grp27 DC is the Accessories(house).
The house is charged from the Aux charging wires from both Yamahas.
Great setup. Great to be able to fit a grp27 for house too. I would stick with it.

View attachment 6751
Thanks very much. This is great.

Sharkbait282

Reaction score
While it's a few years off they didn't change too much in the back of the bus moving from 1998 272 to a 2002 282, we had the same dilemma in 2015. Fitting battery trays long ways, lengthwise, 3 group 27 batteries fit (snuggly) behind the tackle bin. You should check fit these, as you'll need to push the tray back on the shelf a bit so they don't interfere with the tackle bin. But no worries fitting group 27 starting or deep cycles.

Not a great photo, but you can see just above the fuel lines the narrow end of the three trays is visible.

IMG_1947.JPG

Reactions: GradyChris

GradyChris

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Awesome. Thanks SharkBait!
Probably going to grab the two highest cranking amp group 24s I can find (have seen 1k) and then an AGM group 27 deep cycle....figure smart logic to spend some $$ on the nicest house battery I can fit there

May join a Sam's club because 3 batteries at their prices would cover the $45 membership. I have a BJs membership but hard to find prices online there on marine batteries

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Awesome. Thanks SharkBait!
Probably going to grab the two highest cranking amp group 24s I can find (have seen 1k) and then an AGM group 27 deep cycle....figure smart logic to spend some $$ on the nicest house battery I can fit there

May join a Sam's club because 3 batteries at their prices would cover the $45 membership. I have a BJs membership but hard to find prices online there on marine batteries

I wouldn't mix AGM and Lead Acid. Your charger will only be able to do one or the other.

Got mine at BJs. 24DPs

GradyChris

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I wouldn't mix AGM and Lead Acid. Your charger will only be able to do one or the other.

Got mine at BJs. 24DPs
Would having 3 AGMs be okay? As long as I'm not mixing lead acid and AGM

Or would I need to check my Pro Mariner charger to verify if the particular model can handle AGMs?

Maybe I'm over thinking this and should just put back what came out....lead acid. The problem is I only recently acquired the boat and only got a few days on it so don't know if the old setup was ideal.

I wet slip the boat and can use shore power if I want (unsure I really need to though)

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Would having 3 AGMs be okay? As long as I'm not mixing lead acid and AGM

Or would I need to check my Pro Mariner charger to verify if the particular model can handle AGMs?

Maybe I'm over thinking this and should just put back what came out....lead acid. The problem is I only recently acquired the boat and only got a few days on it so don't know if the old setup was ideal.

I wet slip the boat and can use shore power if I want (unsure I really need to though)

My Pro Mariner Sport20 has a dongle you have to change to charge AGMs.

I haven't really researched AGMs to know if it is cost effective. Do they last longer or are you replacing them every 5 years too....at twice the price?

You managed to get a 27DC as a house battery. I have two 24DP Dual Purpose in parallel, a 27 will not go in the hole.